I just had a chick hatch on day 17!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CocoPopz, Mar 26, 2015.

1. CocoPopz

CocoPopz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    My chick just hatched, only just turned to day 17!!!

2. citruslady

citruslady New Egg

Feb 17, 2015
    What happens when they hatch early. I had 9 hatch on day 19 and 6 more on day 20 and we are still waiting or the other 13. They are all eating, drinking and peeping happily.

3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I'm no expert, having never had a incubator, but I didn't want you to think your post was being ignored! Folks get busy and don't always answer right off, but will respond when they get the chance.

I'd say, relax and enjoy them! They apparently had their own calendar going and it just didn't coincide with yours...as long as they are eating and peeping and doing well, that's important. I don't know what to tell you about the eggs still in the incubator. That's one of those touchy things where I've seen people wonder if they should open the 'bater early and get the hatched chicks out or wait so they don't mess up the hatch still to take place, or leave the babies in until either all of the eggs have hatched or been declared as duds. I can't advise you there. Sorry for not being much help.

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    How are you guys counting your days?? You are not counting the day you set teh eggs as day 1 right? You don't start count until the eggs have been incubating for 24 hours. So if you set them on a Monday at 12pm day one STARTS Tuesday at 12pm.

17 days is really early...worrisome early. Early hatchers points to higher than recommended average temps during incubation.

My last hatch started pipping late day 19 but didn't hatch until day 20/21. All but one healthy and strong.

Also with the day 17 hatchers what kind are they? Bantams are known to be early....usually day 19/20.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Early hatchers can be a more developed egg going in the incubator, and you just didn't know, or it may have been in a warmer section of the incubator.

You def don't want to help any out until day after day 21, but try not to help out at all. The pushing of the shell off chicks body helps make the legs strong.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    See? I knew smarter folks than me would chime in here! [​IMG]

7. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Not smarter, just been through it...lol [​IMG]

8. CocoPopz

CocoPopz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    My day 17 hatch isn't a bantam and is healthy like any others are on day 21, just small! I count my days right, this is like my 15th time hatching, never happened to me before. Was very unexpected

9. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    Sometimes the embryo starts developing before it's put in the incubator. This can happen if the eggs are stored in a warm environment or if the hen had a chance to sit on the egg for a little bit before it was collected. As long as your chick is happy and healthy I wouldn't worry about it- enjoy them!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by