I just had to cull my first chick...I feel horrible

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by write2caroline, Sep 29, 2010.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    My standard partridge cochin was not able to walk. She was not maturing or growing. I am not sure what happened to her but she was always sitting. When they went outside the others walked all over her and that was when I noticed a problem. I brought her inside and for four weeks I gave her special food and vitamins, black molassis. She improved to the point where she could stand up on one leg but the other would not support her weight at all. This past week she hasn't even tried to stand she just sits. She seems happy and ate drank and pooped fine.

Today I decided to take her out to the run and see what she would do. When I saw her next to even her bantam brooder mates I realized she was not going to get better and ever live a sort of normal chicken life. The other chickens too felt her flappy wings was threatening and immediately tried to fight her.

Enough was enough.

I had to do it.

I did it badly. I thought I could bend and break her neck fast in a wringing but I just hurt her. So I had to use the hoe. I feel really really bad. Of course I was was attached to her and crying the whole time saying I was sorry. I am so sorry. I referred to her as brownie but I was trying not to name her or any of my chickens. I wanted to put her down quickly with love and respect. I am sure my neighbors think I am a farm hoe murderer crazy woman.

I know I did the right thing as far as she was not improving and looked like a three week old chick rather than a 9 week old. She had lived in the bathroom brooder for two months and I think that chickens need to not be alone.

Caroline

2. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    [​IMG]
    You did the right thing. Hang in there.

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    [​IMG] Good for you, that you wanted to do the right thing. Sorry it didn't go well.

Now she can be at peace.

I've had to do the same thing, and it's never easy, even when you get 'good' at it.
    But your flock is actually safer now, because if she'd gotten ill she could've passed it to them.

You are a good chicken owner!! [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry. You did the right thing for the poor little thing. ETA: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you ever have to do it again, I hear pruning shears work well and are quick.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  5. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Yes, I will have to remember pruning shears. I was so upset I couldn't find the axe. I just needed to do it quick.
    Caroline

6. WiMoSiFr

WiMoSiFr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    Germany
    As PP said, you did the right thing, but you already knew that. I'm glad you did the right thing, even though it was a difficult decision to make. It is hard to dispatch an animal, but it's especially hard the first few times. [​IMG] You don't know what techniques will work best, or what kind of force/technique is needed to do it quickly. I'm sorry you had such a hard time. We raised rabbits for food when I was 10-12. My mother was killing them by whacking them on the head with a hammer and I was watching. I decided to do one, but the first hit didn't do it, it just hurt and scared the young rabbit. It took me another hit or two to get the job done. I felt horrible and was shaking when I was done. Although I didn't do it again, I learned from the experience. So will you. I'm sure things will go much more smoothly and quickly if you ever have to do it again.

7. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    I'm sorry you had to do that. It must have been hard. (((HUGS)))

8. LuvMyPeeps7

LuvMyPeeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Lexington
    [​IMG] x2. I havent had to do that yet, But you did do the right thing. She is in a better place now. I'm so sorry you had to go through that! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  9. pnuts

pnuts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    that sounds like a horrible experience i'm so sorry you had to go through that:(

10. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    [​IMG] So sorry you had to go through that! At least you can know that you did everything remotely possible for her while she was alive, and although the culling did not go as planned, you still avoided her being picked to death or killed by a predator. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by