1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

I just have a quick question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Foleys, May 26, 2010.

1. Foleys

Foleys Songster

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Do chickens shead like dogs and cats and then grow more feathers??? Mine are losing a feather here and there nothing bad they dont have any bald spots so I was just wondering if they shead.

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Songster

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    They moult...if it's just here and there, they must just be beginning to do so. But occassionally mine will just drop one here and there when they're not moulting. [​IMG]

4. Foleys

Foleys Songster

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
  5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I think that most go through a big molt in the fall when days start getting shorter however many also molt when they are about 18 months old. They could also have small molts at other times or could molt due to stress. When they go through a big molt they usually stop or reduce laying for up to several months until the feathers go back ~ it takes a lot of energy & protein to grow new feathers.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    This site gives good information on molting. As you can see, they go through a few juvenile molts before they layt their first egg. Many things can trigger an adult molt. One standard is the fall molt when days get shorter, but they can molt at any time and for several different reasons.

Mississippi State describes molting
    http://msucares.com/poultry/management/poultry_feathers.html

It is also not unusual for them to occasionally lose some featherswhen they are not molting. A broody will sometimes pluck her breast, a hen may lose some feathers during mating, mites and lice can cause feather loss, or they may lose some during pecking order disputes or dominance fights. A little feather loss is usually not a big deal, but this article may help you determine if you have something actually wrong. I doubt if there is a real problem, other than maybe mites or lice, but just in case.

Kansas State feather loss
    http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/library/lvstk2/mf2308.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by