I just have to ask...(don't be mad meat people!)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by go-veggie, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Is there anyone out there who maybe clicks on the recent posts section and accidentally ends up reading a terrifying story about someone killing one of their birds? I don't mean a predator or anything...but a story about how to kill or the process of "processing" a bird someone has raised. I know lots of people raise them for meat, but when I found this site with it's cute name and loads of awesome information about caring for chickens, I never thought I'd be reading about someone hitting their bird on the back of his head , etc. etc. I know, I'm a vegetarian/animal LOVER, but I was just surprised I guess. Does anyone else find it disturbing or is it just a matter of people like me needing to stay as far away from those posts as possible? [​IMG] (maybe they could add a warning by the posts that contain details of killing, because the subject line might not always reveal it) Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts! Oh, and I am definitely not putting down anyone who raises birds for meat-not at all...just wanted to hear different opinions on this. Thanks! I think this whole chicken raising thing has really grown on me and they are like family to me now. [​IMG]

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

You just need to stay out of the section called "Meat Birds ETC" Recent posts to saw what section the post is in, you also may want to stay away from the Predator section too. Just to be safe or go in knowing you may not like what you read.....read the stickies at the top of each section for specific rules, just to be safe not sorry....
    HTH

3. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Eating chickens is just part of life on the farm.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Being a vegetarian myself and unable to harm a hair (or feather) on any being other than perhaps a mosquito, I do understand! I stumble on those threads too and also wish I didn't - the words become visuals that have a way of lingering in ones mind. I just try my best to avoid them.....probably would help a bit if there was something in the titles that warned.......but hard to "legislate". I too am not suggesting that people refrain from eating meat. I would be pretty happy even if all humans just treated nonhumans with kindness and respect and great living conditions while they are alive.
    Wishing you and your feathered friends all the best [​IMG]
    JJ

5. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

I'm pretty new here and I didn't realize the MEAT birds, etc. and the other categories were listed by the recent posts. Thanks. I will still read the predator section because there is a big difference between reading about someone's excitement over slaughtering their bird and reading about a predator unfortunately killing someone's beloved flock. I have learned a lot from reading about how people are trying to protect their chickens from predators.

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Raising chickens covers a wide area of uses and ways and means. From the house pet chicken to the meat bird to hatching to predator protection. And ducks. Never forget the ducks. [​IMG]

Just realize that nothing is meant to offend and is all a part of chicken raising and just close a topic that is not for you and your philosophy on life and you will do fine. [​IMG]

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Oh how I would love to have ducks [​IMG]
    JJ

8. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    Our chickens are actually meat-birds, but we don't intend on eating them. Me and my younger brother have become FAR to attached. We will only slaughter our roo if he becomes agressive, or pecks my mom who has had VERY BAD experiences with roos...
    But, we keep our chickens in a very clean, healthy living space. They're treated like celebrities at our home! [​IMG]: [​IMG]

9. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Yeah we have some stuff going on that I just can't understand I unwittenly open posts that speak of kissing a chicken after you put a diaper on it. Oh the Horror.[​IMG] I think like others have said just check what section it is under and you will be fine. Some of my meals contain meat but I am not mad or have no reason to be mad at you.

10. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    If yer not gonna eat that chicken... can I have it?

Are you gonna finish those mashed potatoes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by