1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I just have to inquire about this chicken product.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Guinea Goonie, Jan 15, 2009.

1. OK, I saw this item and I guess I am just a newbie.

BUT, what the heck are these used for ?

[​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have no clue! At first I thought it went all the way around and would have thought for bigger birds to keep them from biting, but it looks like it's pinching that birds airways.... Weird.

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I believe they are used to prevent chicken fights.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    They're blinders, to prevent pecking of another bird. [​IMG]

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:Yep!

They are blinders... to prevent picking on other birds!

Often they are used on game type birds, like pheasants, which are territorial but need to be kept in confines for breeding programs or just safe keeping. It keeps them from picking each other to pieces. Not usually used or needed on chickens.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Thank you both of you!!! I knew they couldn't be for other stuff as they don't go all the way around. I was thinking of falcons because they are so sharp in the beak......

7. links_56

links_56 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2008
    Mercer County, IL
    Hi, My grandpa used to have 3000-4000 chickens when he was a kid in the 1940's due to lack of grinding equipment and modern technology often the chickens were undernourished with protein and as a result they would start pecking each other. These were a way to stop that. One would put the "glasses" in a pot of boiling water to soften them up and then with a special tool clamp them to the air holes in their beaks. I remember him telling me how much of a pain it was to put them on all the chickens, He said the whole family would do it for weeks after supper. This would prevent them from being able to see what was right in front of them. I have a couple boxes of them that my grandpa gave me and when ever some one says "I'll believe that when I see a chicken wearing sunglasses" I get them out. Hope that sheds a little bit more on the subject. Justin.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  8. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Welcome Justin,
    and your right..
    chickens do wear glasss
    when they need them LOL

9. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:^^ ^ thanks for sharing that 56!! I love to hear stories from our grandpa's!! I hate to think we're losing lore and knowledge, even if in a way it's been overwritten by newer thinking and knowledge... maybe we have different methods now, and maybe in a lot of ways we're more informed and educated, but knowing how your grandpa and his parents did things, is still a link in the chain of knowledge! THANK YOU!!

10. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I've used them on Phesants to prevent pecking problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by