I just have to vent

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
I am so mad and upset!

I have a younger sister in the 7th grade, and its time for science projects, well this little boy didnt ask his teacher before starting hi assignment, so he went out and bought 5 doe fancy rats. When he went to school and found out he couldnt use them , he RELEASED THEM IN HIS BACK YARD! No fence, its cold out, and they are outside in this weather! I am so OUTRAGED! Those poor little girls wont make it more than a few nights at most...

I would have been MORE than happy to take them in and give them a good home. I just cant believe he did that! and the mother was all like "they are jut rats, whats the big deal"

ILL TELL YOU WHAT THE BIG DEAL IS LADY!

UHHHHHHGGGGGG
I am just so... so... so OUTRAGED / SAD that she would do that, I mean even being ignorant of rats, it makes me so upset!

Im sorry, I just had to vent. Thanks for reading

I understand your outrage but it also reminded me of when we raised rabbits for food. We were not very rich at the time and with so many children to feed, the rabbits provided good nourishment.
Well, when we finally got our finances in better control, we deciced to stop raising the rabbits. One problem; some had actually become pets! But the kids were headed off for high school and college and lost interest in the older rabbits. We didn't wnat to just KILL them so we decided to "let them go!"
We live in a very rural area and I think the bunnies did quit well. For years after we would see "wild" rabbits but with strange white markings on their paws or faces and backs. We knew then that the older rabbits we'd turned loose had done very well on their own.
wink.png

There is NEVER a good reason to release an animal like that into the wild, be it rats or rabbits. I don't blame you for being furious.

Quote:
Once you domesticate an animal, You cant release it into the wild, So im glad you are right there with me.

These rats were young, not even a year old! And rats cant be outside like that. They are very vulnerable to predators as well as sickness. I own two does and there is no way I could "release" them, not only becuase of the the person I am but becuase they would not be able to survive.

I understand the rabbits somewhat. They can lie on their own and eat the plants and what not, but it is not always the best thing for it.

Here it is illegal to release most domesticate animals into the wild

Quote:
I live no where near th boy's home and there is no way I could catch them. I doubt they are evn alive today becuase of how young they were.

This is the stuff that fury is made of...

Turn her little boy out in the elements, in a urban area and see how long he last. A life is a life is a life...

Can you try to contact a rescue that is near the boy's home ..have them set humane traps? It is possible that those babies survived this long and worth trying to capture them, even now. Even if only one made it ...that's one!

...and please, please kick the woman a smart one in her backside.. tell her it came from CA, if you want!
somad.gif

I wish I could! All I can do is "rat her out" and give her a stern talking too. I am not an emotional person, but when my sister came home and told me the news, I cried. I couldnt help it. it gets down to the thirties here.

Back
Top Bottom