i just inherited a bunny, now what? **update: i'm keeping her** PICS

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NewChickenMom, Nov 6, 2008.

1. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    i found a great deal on a wire cage for my show birds and when i went to pick it up, there was a BUNNY in it. she said i could only have the cage if i took the bunny. so i brought the bunny home, made her a nice home in a dog kennel and put my chickens in her cage.

i know NOTHING about bunnies!!

can she live with my chickens in their coop/run? or should i try to find her a new home? she's really small, short haired, brown on top and white on bottom, REALLY soft.

any ideas or advice?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  2. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    I would try rehoming her. there are plenty of people who enjoy rabbits. Just make sure they aren't going to feed her to something. [​IMG] If you want to deal with all the poo and pee...they are really nice to have as a lap animal. But I had two and the poo and pee got overwhelming. I was running around with a vac and a spray bottle of carpet cleaner ALL THE TIME. Some people don't mind all the work... I also was always scared my tot would pic up a pooper and think it was a raisin or something. Oh...and some Bite and Scratch.

3. NewChickenMom

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    she seems really sweet, i picked her up and she didn't kick, bite or scratch. she's so soft, i just couldn't stop petting her.

4. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    Quote:Yea I've heard it on tv of how Sickos sometimes get 'free' pets like bunnies or kittens to feed to snakes, or train dogs to be fighting dogs on them.........so sad. [​IMG] I love the show Animal Cops on the Animal Planet for the Wonderful stories they have on rescuing animals & bringing Sickos to justice, ......but unfortunately they show or tell of the Sick stories that happen to poor innocent animals. [​IMG]

5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    If you like her, do a bunny info search and keep her around for a little while. Sounds like she was loved on and treated right. You never know, she may be a really nice addition to the family!

6. NewChickenMom

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    can she go in with my laying chickens?

they are EE's, 1 BR, and a handful of teenage silkies

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I wouldn't put her with the chickens.
    She'd walk around in poo and then you wouldn't be as happy about petting her.
    Can she hang out in the carrier and have free play for a while every day?

8. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    My escape artist bunny Spree is living with my chickens. It wasn't meant to be that way, but that rabbit can get out of anything. Finally I just gave up, and he's out in the fenced yard with the chichens. He hasn't escaped since. I guess he just wanted to run around. He even dug a path into the barn so he can go in at night. Honestly I gave up on trying to keep him confined, and it happened to work out. I definitely can't recommend it though [​IMG]

9. NewChickenMom

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    well, i think i'm going to keep her. she's really sweet. i put her in with the chickens and she really loves it. she's digging around, running, really enjoying herself. she was in a tiny cage before and i think she's happy to be free. i got her some alfalfa at tsc and she has a dish of pellets. i'm planning on locking her in her kennel at night.

[​IMG]

name ideas?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  10. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Wow, she looks like a wild bunny [​IMG] How about a classic from Watership Down? Hazel, Cowslip, Violet, something like that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by