I just joined because 2 chickens showed up at my place

taogal

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 8, 2016
Hi folks--I live in the country on 6 acres in central Texas. I've never had chickens because I work in the city, an hour away, and realized I wouldn't have time to take care of them.

But now I'm semi-retired and I'm home more often, and recently 2 stray chickens have taken up residence on my property. They seem young, a hen & rooster. I have several neighbors who raise chickens and I've asked if anyone's missing them, no one claims them.

It's still warm here, but it will get cold at some point. For the time being, they hunt for food all day and roost high up in the pines. I kind of want to adopt them and build them a coop so they can be safe and sheltered at night.
They come up to me when I bring out food, so I don't think it would be hard to get them in a coop at night.

Has anyone ever turned wandering homeless chickens into coop chickens? Any advice?
Should I put a nesting box in the coop for the hen?
Thanks for any words of wisdom!

Greetings from Kansas, taogal, and :welcome! Great to have you with us. Adopted by a couple chickens, eh? You're sure not the first. Many folks have stories of how chickens just showed up and stayed. I'd recommend some of the articles in the Learning Center here https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center By their title you will see the ones of most importance to you...feeding and housing, etc. If you are planning a coop be sure and make it large enough for any future additions you might want. If this turns out to be something you enjoy, your flock will grow. I think your two can be induced with food into a coop. Once you have them keep them cooped for a few days with food and water. They will recognize it as home. Roosting in the pines they will soon became a meal from one predator or another. You could put a nexting box of some type in the coop to see if the hen is a layer...but if she's young it may be awhile. And here's the Coops Forum where you can peruse styles you might like: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops
Keep us posted on your two arrivals and ask any questions you have along the way. Best wishes!

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. You have some great links from @redsoxs that I'm sure will answer most of your questions, but please feel free to ask - we're all here to help each other.

Best wishes
CT

welcome-byc.gif

Sounds like you've been adopted, guess those 2 knew a good thing when they found it. Redsoxs has given you some good advice so I'll just say, it's nice to have you here!

Back
Top Bottom