I just joined the party PICS!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ankscrew, Mar 31, 2012.

1. ankscrew

ankscrew New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    After talking about it for more than a year, my family and I have purchased some chicks from TSC. We started with 8 and went back to get a total of 14. We have had the older ones for almost 2 weeks and the others for 1 week. I have no idea how old they were when we bought them.

I spent about 1 week building the coop, which still needs a final coat of paint. We moved them into the coop after the fumes dissapated. We live in FL and the tempurature outside is almost in line with the recommeded ranges for youngin's. The chicks are living in the coop, inside the garage until they are old enough to spend the days ranging.

Picture time!! [​IMG]
    I rolled the coop outside thinking they could just stay out there but then I realized it was probably going to cook them in the day time. Back to the garage they went.
    [​IMG]
    My son is wearing gloves becuase his hero, Mario, wears them. . . makes perfect sense doesn't it?

Here are my chickies:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, that is what I have. Most of them should be pullets but don't don't have much faith in a big stores sorting abilities; maybe I will be impressed. I will cull all but one rooster, perhaps all of them. Maybe they will survive long enough to become dinner.

I am trying to open the doors and hand feed them every night. My wife had them crawling all over her for oatmeal last night.

Wish me luck on this adventure. I hope to start seeing signs of their sexes some time soon. When should I expect indicators?

-Steve

BTW: There is a nesting box built, I just haven't put it in there yet. I would think they prefer the space to move around. I was also thinking about putting a taller roost in there while they are young and have so much space.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Nice set up for the chickens!

Sometimes it can take a few months to really tell if you have a rooster, but they don't cause problems at that age.

3. WillsBirdHouse

WillsBirdHouse New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    Well, I am the user formerly known as "ankscrew." My wife pointed out that the other username might appear as if "A" and "K" were doing something inappropriate. Sooooo, if the moderators would like to, the other username could be deleted. I don't know how to do that myself.

-Steve

ps. if the mods require proof that I am the same user, I can provide the email address associated with the other account. Just PM me if you need it. Sorry for the extra work.

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Lovely! :welcome Some nice photos there. That's smart, building a coop that moves. That would really help, we spent the first few weeks trying to grab the chickens so we could take them outside in a box. :p

As for sexes, it can take a few months, until the roosters start crowing and the hens squatting. There are indicators that you can use before then, but sometimes they may be misleading. I thought one of my hens was a rooster until she was about a month and a half old. :lol: She was a big 'un.

5. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Congratulations on the new chicks and welcome to BYC.

6. Scovy Momma

Scovy Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    Sacramento CA
    They sure are adorable!
    & welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by