I just killed a 5 ft snake DH measured it was 6 ft

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chixie, Nov 12, 2009.

1. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I was moving some tin that was out behind my chicken /goat pen because I want to expand my pen... and there it was trying to get away... he ate something before I found him ..I have no idea what type of snake it is... just to close to my babies. it has 2 large bulges in its stomache...all my eggs are accounted for.. I am missing my last quail(but it has been gone since mon. not sure if it is what one of the bulges it is about his size... could be eggs though... I counted my baby silkies and they are all there..

I carried it on the shovel to the front yard I slipped in the mud and fell the snake and shovel went flying... I had to pick it up again...it was funny

Update: DH opened it up ... and it looks like my quail"BOB"... apparently he escaped his pen and was hiding out and the snake found him... It is a sad day... bob was my buddy

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. colleensstuff

colleensstuff Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry for your loss of Bob.

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    [​IMG]

Poor Bob [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    derned snake...

do an autopsy.... she what it et.

5. chixie

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    It ate my quail"bob" he used to live in the hous ebecause the other quail picked on him... after they were gone he went outside- only been out for two weeks... now I am worried about my babies being outside

6. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    I have some deer netting around and over my coop area and it has caught a few snakes. They try to slip thru it and whammy they get stuck. Then they try to weave their way out and they are really caught till I get them out and relocate em. Another use for deer netting I guess!

7. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] Sorry for your loss.

That is a HUGE snake! [​IMG]

8. chixie

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    huge... everyone was surprised that I didn't run... He wasn't far from my 7 week old silkies and those are my babies... I act and then freak later...Thanks for all the replies ... Bob will never be forgotten and I will not get anymore quail... just didn't have any luck with them ... I really like quail

9. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    So sorry for the loss of Bob. My pet quail is Robert. Again, sorry.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm sorry about Bob. But I'm glad you found the snake before it made a meal of your chicken babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by