I just killed my lovely chicken...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mylani, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Mylani

Mylani Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2015
    with ivermectin. Lice were very bad on her and she didn't feel well.I googled can I use Ivermectin on my chicken and hundreds of opinions and recommendations came up. I had the 1% inj. Which someone somewhere wrote that's what they use under the wing on the skin. I must have used too much, about .3 cc. I've only had her for a few months but I think she was old when I got her but I loved her much. How does one sort through all the different recommendations to find the safe ones. I'm really broken up about this....

2. stcharleschick

stcharleschick New Egg

Mar 17, 2016
    St. Charles, Mo
    So sorry you lost your dear hen. It is very scary to try to work out the doses. We would give our dogs a tiny finger tips of ivermectin for worm but it was for horses. dogs can handle it. I would try the paste next time not an injection. and very sparingly as you have probably figured out already. Most have a dose per pound on it or you can google that. Better luck!! Also try diamacious earth much safer just put it in the food and the dust bath if you can'r dust her yourself.

Barbara

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Man that is a hard thing to go through. I am sorry you got bad advice and lost a loved chicken from following it.

It is really hard at times to know what is sound advice and rubbish that seems sound.

It could also be that the hen you lost was compromised in some other way that made her more frail then she was letting on.

I have used Sevin dust mixed with Diatamacious Earth on my hens for mites with no ill effects and no deaths. I have only had to do this once for initial treatment and once for followup treatment. Is Sevin toxic? I would have to say yes since it is a poison. Use any medication as if it can kill the patient. Caution and care both for the patient and the person doing the treatment. Keep any poisons away from the eyes and nose of both the patient and the provider. Dust masks and gloves followed by a shower when done treating. Liquid poisons scare the daylights out of me so I avoid them altogether.

I am so sorry you lost your hen.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mylani

Mylani Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2015
    "This is what I do
    I buy Normectin 1% injectable (water based)
    Worms and external parasites
    Sml bird – 4 drops
    Med bird – 6 drops
    Lge bird – 8 drops
    You can place on the skin under the wing or neck."

Thank you, I followed the above directions ( normectin is what I had) and read some people saying not to use the paste. I had put DE on her but I thought I could use something that would kill them right away as some folks said DE takes a long time to work. I've only had her a few months.I can't stop crying. How can you love a chicken so much?..

5. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    The chickens are easy to love. They each have their own personalities and are quite entertaining.

DE is more of a preventative then a cure. I do not use it unless I am mixing it with the sevin to treat since the dust was more then I could take when I put it in the litter.

I am again sorry you lost the little gal. It is always a risk using meds on any animal as one might be fine with it and the next may have a bad reaction.

I keep sevin on hand for them but only needed to use it once.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Ivermectin should not have killed your hen. However it wouldn't worm her either. It would kill mites.

8. guineapeeps

guineapeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2016
    In Limbo
    I'm so sorry! I know it's hard to lose a bird your attached to! Last summer I had a Guinea keet that was hiding in the tall grass and I stepped on it with my big boots and killed it.....I felt terrible for days. Do you have other chickens or poultry? Maybe some new spring chicks and/or keets would help! I don't know anything about ivermectin except for horses, but for my Guineas, I use sevin dust (the kind for garden pests). I put it where they take a dust bath and have not had any problems with that. I've heard of people putting it directly on the bird full strength and not having any problems with that either. I also dust their coop with diatomaceous earth occasionally and I think that helps too.

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] I'm sorry for your loss.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I am so sorry you lost your hen. It is very hard to sort the good information from the bad. Everyone has opinions and what works for one person, may not work for another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by