I just lost me hen to wry neck :, (

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by realsis, Nov 6, 2013.

1. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    My hen got her a second bout of wry neck. I'm certain it was her genetics. she had a crossed beak too.i tried the vitamins and predinsone regiment. nothing seemed to stop it. Although she was eating she became more and more immobile. Finally she couldn't stand or lift her head. She went into a unconscious type state and I lost her. I'm so heart broken. I didn't know wry neck could kill. Is that uncommon? Poor baby I will miss her greatly. She was doing well then suddenly she declined.. :'(

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

3. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Thank you for the hug! Its a sad day. .

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. I have read where you have had a lot of wry neck. Is it in silkies, or do you have Mareks? Do you ever just treat everyone with vitamins in their water 3 days a week (something like Avian Superpak) to prevent it? I 'm planning on doing that from now on. I haven't seen wry neck ever, but it sounds so devastating.

5. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yes I have all silkies and I was giving vitamins A D and E but in my birds case the cause was genetics. She also had a cross beak. I've done some research and if two resessives are bred together it can cause wry neck cross beak or wry tail so in my case the vitamins did nothing for her. I continue to give supplements to my flock because wry neck can also be brought on by a vitamin defiency. I've had that kind of wry neck too before I was giving supplement. This is my birds SECOND case of wry neck. I was able to cure it the first time. This time it started out very mild and I was relieved then it progessed with a fury. Even though she was on vitamins AND predinsone.its truely is a awful thing to wittness. Her neck started out becomming crooked then she would loose conceniness and sleep. finally it got so bad she was in a coma like state and we were discussing how to put her out of her misery. when we finished our discussion we went to get her and she had gone. On her own. It truely is a deviststing thing. I have more silkies and just pray they don't get it. And yes your correct silkies are more prone to wry neck. I have usually been very successful with treating it butwith this second round it was just not cureable

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  6. conniesnow

conniesnow Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    alabama
    I am so sorry about your little hen realsis....I am fighting wry neck with one of my silkies at this time.....it is so deveststing when you loose one....i found my little silkie hen this morning with it.....would like to know what dosage of the prednisone to start mine on and how to give it to her?....can anyone help with that?..i dont want to loose her....thanks to anyone that might can help.....so sorry for your lose realsis....

7. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

8. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I got my dose through the advice of alan stanford. He writes articles about wry neck. I had four milligram pills he suggested 1/4 of the 4 milligram in the am and 1/4 of the four milligram in the pm. So that is what I've done. I've successfully treated wry neck this way before. Along with the vitamin regiment.i lost this hen because it was her Second time getting the wry neck and this time she didn't respond to treatment. hope this helps. Best wishes

9. conniesnow

conniesnow Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    alabama
    Realsis....i have 5mgs prednisone.....should I give her maybe 1/4 of 1/4 of tjat twice a day along with the vit e and selinim and a little bit b complex?.....thank you for responding

10. HenGirl2002

HenGirl2002 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2013
    I am so sorry :(

what is it??

HenGirl2002

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by