I just lost my best little friend, my baby, my LOOKOUT chicken

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickenzoo, Nov 9, 2008.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

[​IMG]
    I can't believe she's gone. I miss her so much. I don't have children, she was like my baby, my reason for loving and enjoying chickens.I have such a big hole in my heart. You may remember she was my crooked neck chicken that I nursed back to health, on the day we were going to cull her, and I peeked in heavy hearted, she was up eating on her own, neck straighter. She was such a little fighter. I kept her in the house since the other chickens would pick on her, but she did have a buddy, Sweet pea, a little Dorking. LOOKOUT would walk around my office and if she felt I was giving too much attention to my work, she'd try to jump up in my lap. I'd pick her up and she'd fall asleep in my lap, head out stretched over my arm. She would spin circles when she was excited and her BAWk, Bawk BAWK, always warmed my heart. She was the kind of chicken that wanted to be with you, enjoyed the attention, she was a special little chicken. I'll miss her fuzzy little cheeks, her crazy disarrayed head poof that always leaned to one side. I'll miss her big beautiful black brown eyes, her tilted head and her almost clown like feet, and her big puffy butt. About two weeks ago she started going down hill, more lethargic, less talkative. She had lost some weight and her crooked neck returned. I wormed her and treated her for the crooked neck and it seemed to resolve. I bought some smaller crumble for her and gave her her favorite-cooked eggs and babied her. She seemed to pick up a little, but still was not her self. I thought she was doing better because she was often at the food bowel, eating, she was always a little pig. I tried not to pick her up too much, because she always go excited and scrunched her neck if I did, and her neck was just getting better. I picked her up yesterday to give her some attention, she was bone thin. How could I miss this? I started her on baby formula, which she ate slowly. I gave her plenty of water w/some poly vi sol, which she drank throughout the day. She seemed to be doing better, looking more alert but then later took a turn for the worse. I couldn't save her, and she died in my arms. I stroked her long black feathers and said my goodbyes. Hubby took her out and buried her among the flowers. I feel like such a bad mom. I miss her so much, I can't even look at my logo that I designed after her.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm so very sorry. :aww

No doubt this little sweet heart felt much loved and she didn't have to go through her difficult challenges alone in this world. This had to be a tremendous comfort to her.

JJ

3. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG][​IMG] I am so very sorry to hear that Lookout has passed. She was a beauty. She is over the Rainbow Bridge now, you gave her a good life and remember the good times with her. R.I.P. Lookout.

4. geoaware

geoaware Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Southern Maine
    What a wonderful chicken mum you have been. I bow my head in admiration for you....

RIP little chicken.

5. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I'm sorry. Hugs to you.

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I am so very sorry you lost LOOKOUT. I am sitting her in tears as I write this, I can feel from your story, you loved her very much. :aww She knew she was loved....take comfort in that you are a great mommy.

7. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    What a sweet little baby girl she was....Lookout was sooo blessed to have you as a mommy. A prayer for you and hubby today....and tomorrow too.

8. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Oh, my goodness, such a beauty. I am so, so sorry [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm so sorry. About her losing weight, they lose it rapidly sometimes and it can sneak up on you. I would have a hen who was a chunk, then she'd get overtaken by internal laying and in a matter of three weeks, would be skin and bones. Dont blame yourself-we cant always see what's under those feathers till it's too late.

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I am very sorry to hear about your loss. She sounds like such a sweet bird. You gave her a good and comfortable life, filled with love, compassion, and kindness, which is much more than she would have had in many other places. Please don't blame yourself; it was her time to rest, and if the Creator is kind, one day you will meet again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by