I just lost my OEGB last night, could I still hatch her eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dianneS, Oct 20, 2009.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I lost my OEGB to a fox last night. She was setting on her eggs about a week. They still giggle when I shake them. They've been cold about 18 hours or so. Will they still hatch if I put them in the incubator?

I'm so upset about losing this little girl, I would love to be able to hatch her eggs. [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I dunno, but if it were me, I'd try. I'm so sorry.

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    try it what do you have to lose

4. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    So sorry! I don't know the answer either, but wanted to give you a hug. I hope they hatch for you

5. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Thanks. Three jiggle and three do not, one egg really jiggles, like its watery. I don't know what to think? I don't have a maglite to candle them right now.

She was a really tiny hen, the eggs at the edge of the nest probably didn't stay as warm as the ones directly under her.

6. missfitch

missfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    my electric went out over night, my hen couldnt fit all the eggs under her (broody) and they all are still going great, one hatched the rest are do on saturday, dont give up, oh and Im from Ohio, and its freezing!!!

7. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    First thing, though, stop shaking them. You could addle them and then they won't hatch.

8. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Quote:Agreed!! stop giggling them!
    Put them in an incubator. Do you know how long she had been setting on them?
    Tomorrow after they are warmed and getting used to their new incubator home, you can CANDLE them to see how they are doing.
    Lots of threads on candling. Depending on how far along they are, you should be able to tell if they are developing or have stopped or are clear (really giggly [​IMG] ).
    Good luck, so sad to lose her!
    Hope you get some of her chicks.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  9. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    [​IMG] Giggling. Am I the only one picturing chick embryos giggling inside eggs? [​IMG]

10. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I wish they were giggling. They're just jiggling. [​IMG] That's funny though, I just realized my type-o, I need the laugh. Giggling chicks, that is funny to imagine! [​IMG] Or giggling eggs for that matter!

I did candle them and tried to compare them to some photos of eggs, and I can't tell if they're still viable or not. Basically 3/4 of the egg is dark and 1/4 of the end is light. There is a very distinct line where the dark and light, ends/begins.

I'd say she was setting on them for about a week.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by