I just lost one of my babies.......I need Advice!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Teresaann24, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    [​IMG] I went outside to check on everyone and was counting my babies with my hen and I only counted 4 and I have 5. I looked every where for the 5th baby while momma was eating I found the baby there it was hung up in her feathers dead. I got the baby off momma and mommas feathers were wrapped around the babys neck. I have been crying and crying... [​IMG] It was the little one I saved on hatching day the baby was stuck in the shell bearly hanging on for life and I got the baby out. Now the baby is gone! [​IMG]

I am debating on rather or not to take the other babies from momma I dont want this to happen again. I need Advice?

RIP little baby [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Sorry to hear about that ~ if it were me, I would leave them with her. It sounds like a freak of nature to me.

Good luck!

3. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have heard of others that have lost babies to this. Momma is a silkie and is VERY furry. I am just heartbroken...I feel like If I went out earlier I could have saved it. [​IMG]

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Oh I am so sorry for your loss. I have heard of this happening before. [​IMG]

5. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I am just worried about the other 4.

6. Bantam Bodon

Bantam Bodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Osceola Mills PA
    Id leave them with the mom and hope for the best, i never heard of one dying in that way so i dont think its something that is going to happen twice.

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    you could shorten the fluff on her bottom with scissors if it would put your mind at ease.

8. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Thanks everyone for the info she is one of my more fluffier silkes she is ALL fluff. I went with my heart and dont wanna risk mother nature so I took the small babies and gave her 2 older babies they a bigger about 3 weeks and strong. I have been watching them the last few hours and she is very pleased with her 2 new babies. I am going out every hour to check on them I will be 100% sure with this switch when I see them go to roost tonight.

9. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Momma is not accepting the older babies as I wished. She was inside and the babies were outside. So i brought them back in, So I am just gonna let this momma go back to the flock. I feel this is my best option. I dont wanna lose anymore babies.

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Sounds like she is not a really great broody hen. They are probably better off inside in a brooder. Not all hens are fantastic broodies. . . sorry for your loss.

Good luck with your babies, and do enjoy them! They really are a delight, and now you are mama. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by