I just lost one of my Plymouths

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by deeschicks19, Aug 5, 2013.

1. deeschicks19

deeschicks19 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    I found her laying out under one of the trees. My husband said (cuz I couldn't be around, to upsetting to me) she looked fine except for one side of chest was extra large and when he lifted her feathers she was missing all the feathers under the top layer. Just skin. So we looked at a few of the others and they have the same missing feathers but not as bad. They were a year old in April 30th. Is that the beginning of molting. Any ideas I would love to hear.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    My condolences,very difficult when a pet dies. Yes,possible molting. Check them all for mites/lice just to rule them out,look under wings,base of tail feathers,around vent area. Your girl that passed,what you described on side of her chest that is her crop. Is it hot where you are,heat is an issue with chickens,or she may have had issues with crop,egg bound,egg peritonitis,the list is long.

3. deeschicks19

deeschicks19 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    I haven't seen any mites or bugs at all on them. Yes it is hot here. But most of their yard is shaded with trees and I have ceiling fan and regular fan in their coop. I also refresh their water a couple times a day and let them play in the water to help keep them cooled down. I live outside of New Orleans, La. After reading allot on here this afternoon I think it was her crop. I also went today and got the unfiltered vinegar for their water after reading about it. I already give them yogurt every other day which they love. I will just watch all the other ones but then again I didn't see any sign of anything wrong with my other girl. Very sad. Amazing how attached you get to them.

4. Bocktobery 10

Bocktobery 10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    I'm just guessing, but maybe it was a sour crop? If her chest was large, maybe it had something to do with that? Does sound like maybe it was mites, or maybe just molting too.

Hard to say, either way. I'm sorry for your loss. I had two Plymouths- one died after a year, and the other is still going ok. Really nice birds. Very docile and friendly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by