1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I just love...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Rozzie, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    listening to my birds! I'm sitting here upstairs listening to my button quail boys singing away in my basement. I can hear them through the heat vents. [​IMG] The coturnix are quiet at the moment. They've had their share of time singing today, too. I bet Rabbit is glad they have shut up! He doesn't mind the button quail but gets a bit spooked sometimes when the coturnix boys start in all at once.

[​IMG] I rearranged my whole basement tonight (well all but the bogeyman's lair - the storage end. I have concealed that end by hanging sheets to block the view). My birds now are no longer in the quickly arranged way I had them before when I had to rush them inside from the cold. They now have a whole section of the basement just for them. It's much easier to take care of them in that area and clean up after the, too. They must like it, because they have been singing up a storm tonight!

2. Rozzie

Jul 14, 2010
    Oh, and for anyone wondering...

Of the 9 that hatched, I do have at least one girl (a manchurian gold)
    One definite male (brown, offpspring of my birds) & one probable male (my other manchurian)

Six are yet to be determined. Can't tell those by the colors.
    3 English White
    1 tuxedo
    1 British range
    and one Red

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I really like the little noises my Coturnix make. I keep hearing people saying that the roosters crow loudly -- I guess I haven't heard that particular sound yet, because I've never heard any loud noises. But, I hear a kind of cricket-like trill that I find incredibly pleasant, plus some little chirps.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    "Of the 9 that hatched, I do have at least one girl (a manchurian gold)"

NOW HOW DID THAT HAPPEN? [​IMG]

5. Rozzie

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:The eggs weren't from my birds, that's how. That, or someone snuck in here & swapped out the birds...

6. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I sat and listened to my Coturnix today. Peaceful noise, that is until the Rooster had to interupt! [​IMG]

I also listen to my chickens. I'm just now learning what each type of noise is. Happy vs. hungry vs. predator in yard vs. crowing....

7. Rozzie

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:Just imagine how it sounds when half a dozen of them start having a crowing war all at once, to see who can drown out all the others! They wake me up that way some mornings. LOL Soon it'll be even more of them waking me up once these little ones get a few weeks older...

8. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Quote:Just imagine how it sounds when half a dozen of them start having a crowing war all at once, to see who can drown out all the others! They wake me up that way some mornings. LOL Soon it'll be even more of them waking me up once these little ones get a few weeks older...

I have two roos in my Quail pen. They do have wars! [​IMG]

I have a dozen eggs in the incubator all due in the next week or so....

9. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010

Well, the first rule of the coturnix roo crow club is....No crow shall go unanswered! If you have 2 or 2 billion, they all have to say their piece. Even the little 3+ week old's , even though they can't really get it just right. They just have to spout off. All the better for beer sexing I always say. [​IMG]

10. Rozzie

Jul 14, 2010
    3 weeks old? Don't tell my 3 week olds.

Last batch didn't start til 7 weeks old...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by