1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I just made an apron!! Out of my wedding scraps!

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by DawnSuiter, Nov 19, 2009.

1. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

So a few years ago now, DH & I had a vow renewal ceremony... beautiful of course [​IMG] cuz I planned it, catered it and made everything myself.
    I bought everything one would need to do such a thing and try OFTEN to find ways to use everything again.. for instance, we eat off the same plates I bought to cater it, we drink from our wedding glasses often, bought a cake server & decorated it, took off the decor & use it all the time. Decorations often double for Christmas decor since it was early December and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Christmas time. The cake pans allow me to make mockups often of the wedding cake I made, etc...

So... I needed an apron cuz I got a lot of baking to do and I thought, maybe I could use my table napkins & leftover decoration & table trims etc

I took these napkins: [​IMG]
    and some ivory blanket trim I used on some other decor and presto... apron:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The ivory matches my dress well, the stitching is similar to my DD's dress which was half ivory & half black (to match me & her dad) and of course the red was everywhere... I figured they would hold up too since they are napkins after all!!! I used 3 only. It even has a little flap like my daughters dress did just below the waist and over the skirt...
    [​IMG]

So proud of me! LOVE having a working sewing machine!!!!!!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    snazzy! looks like a fancy dress! LOL good job! [​IMG]

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Holy Moley!

4. DawnSuiter

Oh thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you! [​IMG]

It feels like a pretty dress too [​IMG]

What another great way to be reminded of that day!

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Wow! You did a great job. I wish I could sew. The table and everything looks so gorgeous. What a grand idea you had to make an apron from the leftovers!!

6. DawnSuiter

Quote:[​IMG] Thank you... but I can't sew... the MACHINE does that [​IMG] I just give it two pieces of fabric and it magically does the rest!

Thank you so much, it was such a beautiful day because I never had a real wedding, we got married at the local JP who owned a FEED STORE of all things, and we got married amongst the horse feed!!! LOL We were far from our own little micro farm then... I should've known it would lead to things! HAHAHA

A couple more pictures of the day (cuz I love reminding myself)... here's my dollar store cake server we use all the time... and the cake I made
    [​IMG] and the cake table where we have our cake, 3 layers.. then 3 different plates full of heartshaped cupcakes that were the 3 different cake flavors and a 4th plate of vegan cakes
    [​IMG]

I made everyone dress up so it was more formal... held it in one cabin invited couples to stay overnight.. it was a ceremony of love... for everyone to share in.... here is one of my favorite pics
    [​IMG]

Catering it was a bit more difficult because half my guests are vegans... but I had one friend help me and found a great vegan cake recipe.
    Here is the menu we finally settled on.. it was great!!
    [​IMG]

Ok... now I've gotten off topic.. sorry!
    Thanks for all the praise everyone, and for looking at my silly wedding pics if you have...

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I was already picturing myself in that gorgeous apron- now I'm drooling on it!

You are a very creative and innovative soul!

8. DawnSuiter

ranchhand, I have LOTS of napkins left!! [​IMG]

9. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    [​IMG] Wowza....now that's an apron!!!!!! I would love to make one but can't sew worth a dime. LOL [​IMG] What an awesome way to remember your special day! [​IMG]

BTW....double [​IMG] [​IMG] over that menu!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  10. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Now.....thanks to you.....I will be looking at my table napkins very, very differently!! And my family may begin to worry about me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by