I just need to brag a little...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by EllieW, Jun 29, 2016.

1. EllieW

EllieW Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2014
    And see if anyone else thinks this is an unusual hen. First of all, she is an F2 generation (half and half rooster X half and half hen) half Americauna and half Leghorn. Her eggs are blue. It took 50 days for her to get UP to medium size eggs.

But the most amazing thing to me is that she has laid an egg every day for 55 days (no days off). For that kind of production I make excuses for the smallness of the egg. I've been keeping records so it's no guess. Is it unusual?

Would love to hear if anyone else has seen that kind of production.

[​IMG]

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

The first year I had hens all 3 laid like 22 + days in a row, 1 day off and another 22 on. None of them were leghorn which is the egg industry standard. They were Barred Rock, Hatchery Road Island Red, and EE.

Still pretty pretty amazing though! I love blue eggs. Did you end up with flightiness of the leghorn or the calmness of the Ameraucana? And was it an actual Ameraucana or an EE? What age did she start laying?

Seeing egg pics are always fun. Hint hint! [​IMG]

3. EllieW

Oct 28, 2014
    Bother her parents were cross breeds. She began laying at 18 weeks. Here are her eggs--all I have on hand as I have many egg customers. The brown egg is 62 grams compared to her 50 gram eggs. In retrospect the eggs may be greener than true blue. Still...

[​IMG]

4. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    The eggs are lovely and so is she! Does she have a name?

5. EggSighted4Life

They are beautiful!

Congratulations! [​IMG]

6. EllieW

Oct 28, 2014
    Not yet, but I think it's time to think up one that fits her. I am open to suggestions.

She has three half sisters (same mom, different dad) they are 3/4 leghorn and have not been anything like her. Besides which all three have gone broody. Aren't chickens fascinating!!!

7. EggSighted4Life

They are definitely fascinating. Even my hubby like watching chicken t.v.

I usually try to pick names that fit their personality or looks. I'm not sure why, but she seems like an Ellie. Got any kids around to help you pick a fun name?

My current one are.... Galileo, High Tower, Penelope, Puffy, Buffy, Starburst, Skittles, Meat Thnack, Atitlla, April, Bessy, Pika, and Princess Peach, Bullseye, Downy, Sylvester, Salsa Pancake, Jelly, Popper, and Autumn. 9 have yet to receive names.

Previous ones were Lucy, Pixie, and Snickers.

I have seen a lot of really fun names on some of the "cute name" threads. And we take joy in picking names for them. Current dog names are Daisy May, Karma, and Blaze. We even named all of our fish in the past! [​IMG] And that doesn't even include nick names.

Thanks for letting me share. I hope you have tons of fun!

Best wishes!

ETA: most of them do have stories behind them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  8. EllieW

Oct 28, 2014
    Update--the hen is now known as Gem. Her record as of yesterday is 97 eggs in a row, & she lays early every day as well which I like. Truly a gem. This week's hatch included some of her eggs to see if she passes it on.

9. EggSighted4Life

Wow! That is quite a record. [​IMG]

Funny, I got a 62 gram double yolker as well. I will be curious to know how many days she takes off after that streak.

And a fitting name! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by