1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I just need to make sure....

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Watermelon123, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Watermelon123

Watermelon123 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Northern Ohio,
    Hello, I live on the border of Youngstown Ohio and Austintown Ohio. I am NOT in the city. My mother says we are alowed to have chickens but I just don't know for sure. Any responses is helpful.

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Have you looked into the laws of raising poultry in your area? But normally in the country you can have chickens but if you have neighbors you have a hunch would not like the sound of crowing I'd be careful on owning any cocks (roosters) but I'm sure raising chickens is fine.

3. Watermelon123

Jan 31, 2015
    Northern Ohio,
    I have checked but all I could find was livstock and bees in the city. I do not have any neighbors exept a mini-plaza accross the street and the church that owns my house is a decent walk away (about 350ft from my driveway). My mom says that they won't mind if we give them eggs (the church is kinda failing). It is also a school for autistic kids but, they love my mom. Every year we give them a theripy animal as a class pet for about a month. I am also pretty sure some of the people up the street have chickens, about a year ago we found a rooster in the mini-forest in the back yard.

4. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Your County website or courthouse should have a zoning map that shows if you are zoned commercial, rural, agriculture, or residential and the map should have a legend that defines what each zoning area allows. Usually ag & rural are the only ones that allow farm animals but if the other zones do not expressly prohibit chickens they *might* be allowed.

5. Watermelon123

Jan 31, 2015
    Northern Ohio,
    Okay thank you. I just checked and it is labled "business" or "Residental".

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by