I just ordered Ancona hatching eggs for the end of April!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wordgirl, Apr 12, 2012.

1. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    I just ordered some Ancona eggs for the end of April, and I'm so excited! It'll be my first time using an incubator (I've had a broody, but it's not quite the same! [​IMG] ) and my first time with ducklings! I hope everything goes well! I am extremely, extremely excited! [​IMG]

Just wanted to share my duckcitement with the BYC duck folks - and I'll be sure to post pics of the sweet babies when they hatch![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] (imagine little duck bills and spots [​IMG])

2. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    Keep us posted.
    I love my Anconas. They are wonderful.

3. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    I have been admiring Anconas from afar for a very long time. [​IMG] I'm really excited to have some of my own! [​IMG] I've heard so many good things about them.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    So I am encouraging a friend who wants ducks to go with Anconas.

But neither of us has an incubator or knows how to use one.

Advice?

5. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    You might be able to get ducklings from Boondockers Farm (boondockers.sharepoint.com) - they have what used to be Holderread's flock, I think. I think there are one or two BYC'ers that are also selling ducklings this year. [​IMG] I'm actually borrowing an incubator for this hatch - do you know anyone who might be able to lend you one?

Your friend should get some! [​IMG]

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hmmm. I know someone who has hatched out chicks. He may be willing to lend me the incubator.

All I know about the process at this point is that I would need to disinfect the incubator, that temperature and humidity matter (as in, life and death), that generally it takes 28 days for duck eggs to hatch, and that all kinds of things can go wrong.

There would be quite a bit of hand holding I would request from BYC Duck Forum members.

And we would need to decide whether we (friend and I) hatch 'em at my place, where I could keep an eye on them, or at his place, where he could keep an eye on them. [​IMG]

7. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    Amiga, I am not sure where your friend is located, but I got my two Anconas from Toadbriar - a BYC member in the Keene, NH area. My little gals are wonderful, fantastic layers, and sweet as pie.
    She was also kind enough to drive halfway to Portland, Me to get them to another BYCer, so she may be a good person to contact.
    I believe she spends time in Western Mass, so if that is more convenient you may still be in luck.
    Good luck.
    Oh, silly me... if that is far away Al's Quackery in Saco, Maine has lovely Anconas, and I would be willing to help get them to a BYCer in the coastal NH region, and as far south as Quincy/Providence RI, since I could make it work with visiting friends/family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by