1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I just ordered my first chicks!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hopefulpeeps, Feb 17, 2013.

1. hopefulpeeps

hopefulpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Franklin, NC
    from mypetchicken....

I'm SSSSOOOOOOO excited!!!!!!

I ordered 6 females, fingers crossed that's what they'll all turn out to be... I also requested the mareks vaccination.

1 EE
    1 Buff Orpington
    1 Speckled Sussex
    1 Australorp
    1 White Plymouth Rock
    1 Columbian Wyandotte

I couldn't narrow it down any further than that, so had to just order 1 of each.

Ship date is May 30th!

Now I'm going to need some input on brooders, I've seen alot of cute rubbermaid tub ones, but here's the thing... I work full time, so they're going to be alone all day and I want something that will be safe, since I won't be able to check on them every 10 minutes... I work in a preschool, so I don't think I'll be able to bring them in because of sanitation reasons, but I may ask when the time comes. I do have a small wire dog cage that measures 24"L x 18"W x 19"H, but that may be too small and/or drafty.

Please I would love someone to give me a list of all the baby chick stuff I will need to pick up before May 20th! I mean everything like feed, lamps, what kinda bulb, etc...

Thank you so much!

2. theotherfoote

theotherfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Newberg, Oregon
  3. gmyers

gmyers Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2012
    Texas
    On my first chicks, I ordered 2 of everything except the silkie and I feel so bad because I only ordered 1 of those and it's like she is so left out because she is the only small bird. I would order 2 of each breed anymore.

4. hopefulpeeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Franklin, NC
    Hopefully nobody will feel left out, since there's not two of anything...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  5. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    what an exciting time. i don't think you will be disappointed. i have enjoyed my chickens so very much. they are a darling family. i never tire of watching them go about their very important chicken duties. not to mention, i love having all those beautiful eggs to use.
    this is some of what i used or learned - hope some of it helps...
    *the water needs to be up off the floor to help keep the litter out of it or you will be changing water mulitple times a day.
    *i used puppy pads under the litter (large flake). it made clean up alot easier & laster longer than paper towels - therefore cheaper.
    *i used medicated chick starter as feed & avoided the temptation to give them treats for the first 3 wks of life.
    *make sure the heat is directed to one area so they can choose the temp zone they want. if they're all huddled under it & don't want to wander - it's a little too cold - if they're all staying away from it as far as possible - it's too hot.
    *using the dog crate is a good idea, but put some cardboard around the sides (or some such thing) to prevent drafts.
    *they will get curious & want a perch & start looking for things to do pretty quick. that's when trouble can break out. be ready to get them into a larger situation. that will go along way to prevent pecking.
    have a blast!

6. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Congratulations! I'm waiting for my chicks to arrive mid-March. First ones ever and I'm so excited. I would ask the preschool if you could bring them in each day. It would be a great learning experience for the kids. My boys had guinea pigs at their preschool and in kindergarten they did a chick hatching program In the classroom. And that was public school where they have to be super cautious about being sued.
    Best of luck to you. It's so hard to wait isn't it?

7. hopefulpeeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Franklin, NC
    Oh it's going to be so hard to wait, but needed.. This'll give us time to get the coop and run built, plus I want it nice and warm for only 6 chicks shipping, seems like all these people getting chicks this month are haveing alot of doa and I'm hoping they'll all make it.

I've always wanted chicken though, so I'm sooo excited that it's gonna happen!

I'm going to ask the preschool and we'll see....

So it looks like my little wire crate with cardboard on the sides could be my first little brooder... I'll have to figure out what to use when they outgrow that?

8. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Keep us posted as to what they say... maybe you can develop a lesson plan on the preschoolers level before you broach the subject; it would be hard to say no to that!

If you belong to a BJ's or Costco you can get one of those huge boxes they keep potatoes/fruit in. They give them away for free and they are extremely thick cardboard. You can even cut holes in it and put screen over the holes so they can look out. Even the grocery stores have them for their watermelons/pumpkins. I think they are about 3X3 or so and that would be perfect for 6 chicks until they go out to the coop
    I think that's what I'm doing. I may have to put 2 together for 15 chicks. I'm a nearly daily shopper at thrift stores and was thinking of getting some flannel backed tablecloths to line the bottom of the box. Put the flannel side up and put the shavings over that. That way it will be water proof as well and the box should last a few weeks.

9. hopefulpeeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Franklin, NC
    That's a good idea, I can ask at the grocery store or there's a friend from work who's moving and she may have some huge boxes.

I'm only thinking my boss may so no to the chicks at work because of salmonella reasons, but if I could get her to let me bring them for a a couple weeks till they're not so little that would be great!

10. hopefulpeeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Franklin, NC
    Nancy, what kind of chicks did you order?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by