I just ordered my mealworms. How long til I can expect to be able to begin to harvest?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Paully3, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Paully3

Paully3 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    The Thumb of Michigan
    I ordered 500 regular and 500 large mealworms. I figured with the different sizes, I won't have them all pupating at the same time. I'm just curious as to how long before I will have enough reproduction to be able to begin feeding my chickens...

2. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    Well I can't actually give you a guess, all I can say is I started my colony in mid July and just this week I can see extremely tiny worms in my colony. When I say tiny, I mean about 2 mm long at most!!!

It seems it doesn't take long for them to go from the adult worm phase to the pupa to the beetle. What feels like it take forever is the beetle phase. I've had beetles for at LEAST 4 to 5 weeks and just this week see some tiny worms. The beetles are starting to die off too, so I was going to give up thinking it wasn't working, but now I have baby worms.

I'm guessing it's going to take AT LEAST another month till these worms are the size of the 500 I purchased from Petco in July.

So I would guess your answer is 5 to 6 months.........

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    http://www.sialis.org/raisingmealworms.htm here is a good link to raising meal worms, they mention how long each stage takes at various temperatures. Their growth rate is really temperature dependent, and egg laying especially seems to be extent humidity dependent.

4. Paully3

Paully3 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    The Thumb of Michigan
    That is easily the most informative mealworm site I have seen. I bookmarked it. Thanks a bunch...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by