I just punched an owl!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by feff94, Dec 5, 2011.

1. feff94

feff94 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    The story goes like this...
    This morning I was walking out to the car to go to work , and I heard the hens making more noise than usuall.
    I walked over to the coop opened the door to see all were on the coop floor and obviously shaken about something!
    I looked to my left to see two hens, I reached to pet one, and then to other except te second turned it's head to reveal
    that it was an owl!!!!!! Instintively I backhanded the bird! It slammed against the wall and did not get up for a second or two
    I was reaching down to grab it in rage, and it lunged at my face I duct as it landed on my head and then pushed off to fly out
    The door!!!!

Crazy story I was high as a kite with adrenaline for an hour or so afterwards,
    Hopefully that wS enough to scare it off for good:cool:

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Quote:I hope it doesn't come back. [​IMG] How did it get in the coop? I cant believe the owl didn't freak out when you came in. [​IMG]

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    [​IMG] I am so glad you're OK, but it was so funny to read you "Just punched out an owl!" [​IMG]

4. feff94

feff94 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    The one night I forgot to tuck the girls in and close the door, it went in through the chicken door!!
    The owl was calm I could have mistakenly pet it had I not went primal on it:D

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Owls are beautiful, aren't they. I would have been so startled too! Maybe I would have gone all "kung fu" on it! [​IMG]

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    careful... i hope they are not a protected species [​IMG]

7. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    They are protected but you allowed to protect yourself. Snakes are protected in my state but if you are threatened you can kill them.

I was walking my usual walk a couple of years ago and there was a pair in a rather tall tree and one swooped down and missed my head by a foot when I ducked to avoid being hit. My guess is they had a nest. I walked through that area very guarded after that attack. They must be very bold birds. Glad nobody was hurt.

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I wish I coulda done that to the pair of hawks that killed my duck on thanksgiving! I probably would have reacted the same way you did! TG none of your birds were hurt!

9. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I'm glad you're okay, the chickens are okay, and the owl too! : )

10. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Quote:Now you have to close up the hole the owl got in through.

Better than the hole in your head that you my recieve if you and the owl decide to enter into mortal combat.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by