I just put my 5wk olds in there coup and I have a few ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bourkeco, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Bourkeco

Bourkeco Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Hey guys... I feel overwelmed with info.

New coup and new chickens... The coup sits on grass but has some dirt/sand areas (I have heard if they eat to much grass it can cause problems..... T/F ?)

Should I give them a heat lamp? I live in southern california.... weather is 60's at night...

Thanks in adv.
    Scott

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Are they fully feathered? I would think 60's would be too cold. What do they say 95 degrees the first week and 5 degrees lower each week, following. That would make temp 80ish, for 5 week olds? I guess if you have a lot of chickens they might keep each other warm... I would not worry about the grass. They claim it is only long strands of grass that are a problem. Like if you cut it for them. I think if they peck away at it, they won't get long pieces- and it will all be gone soon- not to worry!!! Enjoy!

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My month-old chicks have been spending the day outside - it's been in the 60s - and they're fine. They love the sunlight & freedom. As long as yours are protected from the elements at night they'll be fine. I moved last year's chicks outside around week 5.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with Jenn.

5. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    Mine are 6wks now and I put them out 2 nights ago so far so good but tonight we are getting a cold front its suppose to be in the upper 40s I have a heat light in there but i might put them back in the brooder for tonight in the house

6. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

My 5 weekers have been outside for a week. They have a heatlamp, but it's around 30-35 here at night. They're absolutely fine with the 50's/60's and aren't huddled under the lamp during the day.

7. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    Well maybe i will just leave mine outside its only for tonight them its going to be back in the upper 70s during the days and 60s at night ill just lower the lamp a little [​IMG]

8. Bourkeco

Bourkeco Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Thank you all so much, you put my mind at ease..[​IMG]

9. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    They should be ok at 5 weeks that would make it 75 degrees and I had mine out at those temps at that age of 60 at night and all fine..they have been out lower than that temp and survived..

10. ilovechickens

ilovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    I put mine out in the coop at 3 weeks old, I had 3 heat lamps, and I covered their cage. Mind you I live in Wisconsin where it is still in the 20's at night. It is 40 to 50 during the day. I use 1 heat lamp all the time, and I plug the other one in at night and I don't use the third one. They are all doing great!!! they will be transfered to a regular coop with much better access this week. They are not huddled. I will continue to use the light at night until the temps warm up. [​IMG] which will be great:celebrate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by