I just put my chicks into my heated garage- will they die?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SuperCoco, Mar 9, 2009.

1. SuperCoco

SuperCoco Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2009
    I just put my week old chicks into my garage and I am wondering if they will die or be OK. Please reply so I can know if they will be OK.

Thanks.

-SuperCoco

I will be sending more pics in.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you can meet all their heating, food, and water needs in the garage, barn, coop, or living room, they can be there no problem.

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    They will be fine if they are protected from any drafts and they have a heat lamp where it is 95 F under the lamp but they have room to move away from the lamp if they get too warm.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You do have a heatlamp, don't you? If not, yes, they may become chilled and die. Can't tell you the answer till you tell us if the babies have heat.

5. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Like everyone else said - do they have a heat lamp?
    Are they in a draft-free area?

6. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

If you don't have a heat lamp, a 100 watt light bulb may be enough. hang it over the chicks' brooder and put a thermometer in there to take the temperature. You want it 95F. Then, every week older that the chicks get, it can be reduced by 5F. People do this by moving the lightbulb further way.

With my chicks, I would move the lightbulb further away, and then after a couple weeks, I would move it closer again and replace it with the next smaller lightbulb (75w, 60w, down to 40w).

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. Do they have heat, feed and plenty of water? Could you please post some pics of your setup?

8. SuperCoco

SuperCoco Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2009
    Yes, they have all of that stuff like a heat lamp, food and water. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:I've gotten them as far as the basement but I know my wife would draw the line at the livingroom! [​IMG]

10. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    If they have a heat source and food and water they're fine. I used 100 watt bulbs and ratty cardboard boxes with old door screens on top for years, they work qute well, chicks do not need jewel encrusted waterers and embroidered pillows to thrive. [​IMG] They need the heat but also room to get out of the heat as well, they'll regulate their own temp, stop worrying so much. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by