I just rescued a baby trout or bass, Anyone with fish experience?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by RedHead, Nov 14, 2009.

1. RedHead

RedHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    East Lake, NC
    I rescued it from my black lab...he was mainly just barking at it, but it was flopping around on the deck. As most of yall know my yard just recently flooded and those are the two most common fish that I catch in the water by my place. I didn't know where to post this lol and I don't know if anyone here has experience with raising baby fish like this BUT I was thinking I could grow him up nice and big if he makes it and cook him lol My question is, does anyone know what I should feed it? I found a few smaller bugs but I'm sure he's still stressed so doesn't want to eat right now. I've got him in a bowl of the same water that is still standing in my yard(that I'm sure he was swimming in before the water level dropped down). I know I'll probably have to track down a tank but for right now he's got enough room to swim ect. It's maybe about 2-3 inches long right now. I'll try getting a good pic of him, but so far they're all coming out pretty unclear. I used to have an 80gal tank full of gouramis but I sold them and the tank about 2 years ago. His slim still looks good so I don't think the lab injured him.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I don't know how much time you want to invest, but if it was me, I would find a pond or lake and put him back in there.

3. RedHead

RedHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    East Lake, NC
    we don't have any real close by, I know I could probably grow it up, I have a decent amount of experience with fish. Just not wild fish..
    I know people raise them for food in some places, so I was just curious as to if I could give it a shot but I'm having a time trying to find info on how to care for them. I KNOW how to catch them ect. but that's the only info I'm finding right now.
    I know it's a long shot that someone on a chicken site would have info on this, but I thought I'd try anyway lol

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  4. ladycrotalus

ladycrotalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Massena, NY
    Just like pet fish, they need filtration for oxygenation, a large aquarium, a hood, frequent partial water changes, and a variety of foods.
    I dont for see him surviving long in a bowl due to lack of oxygen and build up of ammonia.

I have a pumkinseed sunfish and a green sunfish. I think trout are alittle more delicate though. I remember some people who were in aquaculture at the local college coming in to the store to price chillers for their trout tanks.

5. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I raised a brim once.

Like the above post started - It needs a filter system. We just used the water from the neighbors pond to refill it We fed him regular gold fish flakes.
    we put some gravel at the bottom and some fake plants. If it is a Bass you'll need a BIG tank.

If you have a bass pro shop near by they have those big indoor aquariums.

6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Put the poor fish back in the water. The lab sure didnt find the fish on land it had to come from somewhere. Put it back and go fishing some time to get your jollies

7. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Depending on what it is....bass or trout....you will need a 10-20 gallon tank to start. If bass feed it worms, small minnows, meal worms, etc. If trout basically the same thing except not really minnows...crickets and such would be better.
    Good luck!

8. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    to a pond or lake is my best idea

of course aquarium (big one for swim room) with all basic fish needs, crickets, worms, fry as food if keeping it

9. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    my brother kept a bass in an aquarium (55 gallon) for a year or more. became rather tame as far as eating from your hand and what not. but it became to large and could knock open the feeding lid and destroyed everything in the tank. he eventually let it go in a nearby lake.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  10. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I caught a little 3 inch bass and raised it in an aquarium for a while. He got too big for the tank pretty quick so I released him back into the lake. I had to go and catch minnows out of the lake every week for it to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by