I just rescued a Bantam.....*updated with video*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sonya9, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Okay long story short...bought 3 chicks a week and a half ago....breeder had these two very sad tiny little hens in a cage in the garage.

Really unhappy looking little birds. Wire mesh floor, small cage, awful.

So anyway I kept thinking about them and decided to call the breeder and say I wanted to buy them. He said one hung herself in the cage (suicide?) the other is still there and if I want her I can come get her.

I have 3-4 week old chicks. I guess I could put that tiny (pigeon sized) chicken in another dog kennel. Coop gets installed tomorrow, those chickens (well now only one) were sooooo sad looking! What can I do make her comfy? Am I taking on a lost cause here? Dog crate with good food and such for a couple of weeks? Put her in with the chicks after she sees them for a few days?

Please help folks!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    she may be sick. they dont look sad because the cage is little even if it is cruel to keep them like that.you should keep it from your babies for a month.

3. Sonya9

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Thank you for the reply.

I need advice on how to keep the little rescue happy and alive. As stated this is the place I got the chicks, it is not a pathogen (and if it is I will risk it).

The other hen hung herself in the wire.

My gut says get her, set up another dog crate next to the chicks, let the bantam spend time in a crate in the yard scratching in the grass, and talk to her. If she isn't meant to make it....well....someone cared enough to try.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  4. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    If she doesn't look well, you might want to give her the option of having a light for a little extra heat for a few days. I'm not sure how cool Georgia is right now, but sometimes just a little extra heat does wonders. You would have to have her in a pen large enough so she can get away from the light though. If you don't have electrolytes, put a little sugar in her water for a few days. Unless you think she actually has something, if you put her where she can see the chicks, it will help her and also help when you decide to put them together. I have had really good luck putting a couple of teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in both chicks and adults water. Good luck with your bantam and chicks.

1 person likes this.
  5. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    ok, you can try her in with the others if they wont pick on her that would be great. if they do then beside them as you said. i would try to give her extra rations, encourage her to eat more. if she is very weak she might need some sav-a-chick or even moisten her food with a bit of warm sugar water. they love it and tend to eat more.

1 person likes this.
  6. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    If they are from the same breeder they probably already have shared any diseases already. If you have room and can section off an end of your broder away from the heat you coukd put her where she can see bu not get t the chicks so they can get to knw eachother. I would definatly keep them out of physical contact with eachother but within sight, smell and hearing. Even atiny banty can be vicious to chicks. You never know if a strange hen will mother or kill. Start with that and work on introductions when the chicks are a little older.

1 person likes this.
  7. Sonya9

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Thank you all for the kind replies. She will be inside initially and yes, she will have heat. Just thought grass and sunshine might make her feel better (in the afternoon).

The breeder gave me a couple of "Save a Chick" packets which I have not used...guess I will use them with her. The chicks are doing quite well.

I hope I am not taking this tiny little chicken in to see her die. If I set up a wire dog kennel next to the chicks....and maybe fill it with straw and give her some heat and meal worms and such....maybe she will make it! If not at least I tried.

8. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    That's all you can do is try. Make sure she has access to grit. The mealworms should perk her up.

1 person likes this.
  9. farmkids

farmkids Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    Georgia
    You are an angel to rescue her. Truly, there is a special place in Heaven, my dear, and you will see it. Good luck with the little lady. I hope that she lives many happy years with you, and if she does not, she will die in a more comfortable home, knowing what love and kindness feel like.

1 person likes this.
  10. Sonya9

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    My gut says (and I ain't no chicken expert) that it is mental stress which could of course turn into physical problems. When I say they looked sad, they didn't look sickly or lethargic. They were in a 2' x 2' wire cage with a hardware cloth floor, no perches, no bedding, only a dish of commercial feed. They just sat together in the middle of the cage and looked out. Seemed to be a truly joyless and desolate life, and now that one is dead the other doesn't even have a little friend.

The 20ish year old son of the breeder even seemed to feel bad for them, he said he just wants to find them a good home.

The brooder the 3 chicks are in would be too small to add her, I will set up a crate next to it so they can see each other. I could also try introducing one chick to her at a time (so I could referee and break up any fights).

I imagine those little bantams can fly rather well, that could be a problem too. I have 48" high electric poultry net to set up for their coop (they will have plenty of space, about 40 x 40 for 4 chickens. Having said that I will have to be extra watchful as this little bird can probably fly over the fence easily, and she will be even more susceptible to hawks than hte Dominique and two Ameraucaunas. The coop will also have a 6 x 8 chain link dog kennel with roof attached as a secure inner run so we can start with that when they are ready to go out and figure out the rest.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by