I just saw a fox!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Cat Water, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    In the middle of the day! It really scared me! The dogs started barking, so I looked out the window, and saw a fox running into the road from the direction of the chicken coop! Luckily, it didn't have a chicken in its mouth, but I still want to go check on them to see if they are all ok. The problem is, I can't get a hold of my dad to see if it is ok, because he always told me, if I ever see a wild animal that you wouldn't normally see, go inside and don't go back out. Should I check on them and bring a gun, or wait until my dad gets home? I'm really scared right now. Should I shoot it?

2. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    wait for dad please

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Wait for your dad!

4. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    If it was running away it was probaby startled by the dogs. IMO check on them. If I see a typical nocturnal animal (possum, racoon, etc.) I always question why it would be out during day light hours. Due to my experiences with seeing foxes, I don't put them in the same category. Meaning, foxes are frequently seen in the daylight hours.

Sorry, didn't read the post about your dad's directions. Please wait for him.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  5. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Follow your fathers orders he placed them there for a reason. Put your safty first and let dad deal with the bad stuff. Be safe.

6. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    I got a hold of him. He said it was ok for me to go outside and check on them. He said if it is still out there, I should holler at it and if it didn't run away, I should go back inside. Everyone is still there and there are no signs that I noticed that he tried to dig under the fence. He also said next time we see it, he's going to take care of it for me. I heard it screaming last night and a few days before I saw it running down the middle of the road early in the morning. I guess I won't be seeing it for much longer!

7. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Thanks for talking to dad first...glad all your chicks are ok.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  8. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Ok. Let's get things straightened out. I wasn't really going to get a gun and shoot the thing. I just wrote that becuase at the time, I was really feaked out and that was the first thing I thought of doing. Now that most of the adrenaline has gone away, I have come to my senses. I would never pick up a gun without permission unless my life was in danger.

9. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    MAYBE its time for dad to teach you to SAFELY take care of problems like this in the future. Dad won't always be there. (meaning you grow up and move away. NOT the worse case scenario)
    Talk to him about it. He at least may give you an idea of what he would need to see from you as far as maturity level, responsibility, and so on before trusting you with a weapon.
    My children had access to weapons at about 12yrs old. But they had proven themselves FIRST. And we never had any problems. When guns are "SECRETS" they spark too much curiosity. When they are no longer secret they are just another tool in the tool cabinet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by