i just seen a chicken hawk circling around my chickens. what do i do?

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
hi everyone, last week my friends chicken got eating by a hawk right down the road. so I have been keeping an eye on my chickens, so just know I seen a huge hawk circling my chickens free range yard. they free range every day so im not sure what I could do because they love to free range, so how can I keep the hawks away from my chickens. thanks

Yep it’s a toss up.
I mostly only let mine out when I am home, and I keep a window open to listen for them to alert. It gets a little busy running to the window or outside every time they make noise, but you eventually learn what sounds mean what, and what their actions mean.
Your presence in the area is not a definite deterrent, as hawks have been known to still swoop in, even with you close by, but i do think it helps to be out there more with them.
So my best advice is to learn their alert sounds and watch their behavior when they are scared.

hi everyone, last week my friends chicken got eating by a hawk right down the road. so I have been keeping an eye on my chickens, so just know I seen a huge hawk circling my chickens free range yard. they free range every day so im not sure what I could do because they love to free range, so how can I keep the hawks away from my chickens. thanks
You can't if you free range. It's a risk you take. I free range and lose one or two a year to hawks.
It's a very difficult choice. Give the chickens freedom and take the risk, or put them in a run and hope a ground predator doesn't get in.

image.jpg
No I dont thank that would be possible :( I'm trying to keep. a close eye on them. I dont know what else to do.thanks for your help everyone

Why do you think it's not possible? Anything is possible. Get some wood stakes and drape net around any size area you want.

Really, how far do the chickens go? I have mine in a run, I made a side area where they go to scratch the grass, etc. After about an hour they want back in the run, they are happy and safe. I put up some sticks and added a net. Not expensive and they are covered.

Back
Top Bottom