I just started giving my girls treats

Craftycindy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 24, 2014
I printed your great list thanks a lot for all that great info . I work in a kitchen a very large kitchen we throw cooked oatmeal out everyday and I've been bringing it home for my girls not everyday but they liked it. The other day I brought home the scrapping from the kettle of sausage gravy they turned their nose to it except the corn was just cut down and a good rain so they were really happy in the field but the next day they didn't seem to try it either I want to give them treat that aren't in garden so they don't devour my garden like they did this year with my tomatoes. So I guess my question is they won't always take treats do you give them treats everyday ?

You want to be very careful with how many 'treats' you give your girls. It's easy to start relying on treats and ignoring their main source of feed which should be either chick starter feed or layer feed.

I would avoid anything spicy (such as sausage gravy), etc. I give my girls (4) an ear of fresh corn on the cob, a chunk of watermelon, half an acorn squash (seeds and all) or half a cantaloupe (seeds and all), a chunk of pumpkin (seeds and all), just one treat a day but no more than that. Treats are exactly what they should be....a 'treat'.

I will keep to a treat a day I always have layer mash for them at all times . They are free roaming they have no boundary seem to be very happy chickens but I do want them to stop eating my tomatoes in the garden. I did buy seeds for spouts and I may raise some mealworms.

I will keep to a treat a day I always have layer mash for them at all times . They are free roaming they have no boundary seem to be very happy chickens but I do want them to stop eating my tomatoes in the garden. I did buy seeds for spouts and I may raise some mealworms.

Do you have oyster shell "on the side" by their feed at all times?

Back
Top Bottom