1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I just took a chick outside...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lucy4, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Lucy4

Lucy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

and she acted like I was trying to KILL her.

And she's one of my outgoing, curious ones! (Orpington, always flying up to my shoulder and very into everything.) I took her out to see what she thought, since the weather was so nice. She froze for a couple seconds, then flew up to my arm and starting screaming at me. As in, "Mom, you're EVIL. It's scary out here, take me in RIGHT NOW."

She's a little over three weeks. Uh, I'm assuming the outdoors will grow on her right?

2. countrygirlatheart

countrygirlatheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Huffman Texas
    [​IMG] don't feel bad, i took my 1 week olds out yesterday and they stood there frozen, then starting chirping really loud looking at me like i was punishing them, then one found a bug then it was on from there [​IMG] they did the same thing when we took them back inside [​IMG]

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd consider this normal. I hatched two banties last year and brought them out for the first time since they had been hatched at around two weeks old. Just froze up and tried to see around in the tall grass. Then after the shock set in they started peeping loudly and rapidly! [​IMG] Take her out with you once a day and you'll see improvements.

Think about it: Little peep is seeing the world for the first time.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Chickens don't like anything new plus they are social creatures. Your chick was scared and lonely. But their curiosity and food wil lover come. Just be patient and keep trying. It probably won't take long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by