I just want some chickens...in Mid Coast Maine

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by pepsiloveshotdogs, Jul 12, 2010.

1. pepsiloveshotdogs

pepsiloveshotdogs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Hello, just about finished with my coop and need some hens to fill it. I live in Mid Coast Maine and you wouldn't believe what a hard time I am having trying to find some chickens for my backyard. Local store only orders once a year (March) so I have definitely missed that one. They didn't have names of anyone else who might have chickens for sale. I would like to have 8 to start with. I am looking for Australorps, Easter Eggers, Plymouth Rock, Ameraucana or Arucana. Any of those breeds would complete my coop! Thanks![​IMG]

Gina

2. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Try Craigslist.org. Toward fall you should find chicken owners who need to downsize before winter. I have plenty to sell, if you were only closer.

I got my first chickens through 2 connections I made here. [​IMG]

3. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    You'd have to come to Vermont but I have four or 5 hens who are laying available. They are red stars, EE's, one non breeder quality ameraucana... Nice hens, laying, $20 each. Most lay XL or better eggs.

4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Do you have a local farmer's market? If you ask the egg producers there, they may have some older hens available or will might even hatch some chicks out for you.

Or, as someone mentioned Craigslist. Don't just search, run a "chickens or chicks wanted" ad there. Let them know you are willing to pay for them, ask what they have available. If they think you only want free hens, you may get poor quality birds or even sick ones.

5. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
  6. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  7. pepsiloveshotdogs

Jul 11, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    WOW! This is great, You ALL are great. Thanks to all of you for a great start. This should keep me busy for a while!

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    i just posted on the thread emys posted about, might be too many for you though [​IMG]

9. pepsiloveshotdogs

Jul 11, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I was able to find some local chickens...good ol' Uncle Henry's. I will be getting 4 barred rocks and 4 Aracaunas on Friday night. YAY!!! [​IMG]

10. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Hah! Should have remembered Uncle Henrys!! (Lived in Brunswick for 5 year - and it took me a year and a half to figure out why the local paper had no classifieds!![​IMG])

Glad you found some chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by