I just want them to like me!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by abejita, Jun 17, 2011.

1. abejita

abejita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I know I am jumping the gun here, but how can I facilitate my pullets being comfortable and friendly around me. I've been sitting in the coop and talking to them. I've also tried picking each one up at least once a day, but I don't know if that is doing more harm than good. They are very easy to pick up and they sit very still on my lap, but they don't want to be there.

Any suggestions? I know I am just impatient. They are 14-16wks old.

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    The way to a chicken's heart is through his/her stomach - feed them treats by hand! I offer raisins to any chicken who jumps in my lap. My dark Brahma roo will jump straight up to take one from my fingers.

3. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA

mealworms are also great to use!

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Quote:Yup, but I'm too much of a sissy to touch them!

5. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Agree... I work with mine on a daily basis.... I hand feed them treats and give each 1 on 1 time....and if they jump in my lap or do not run when i reach for them, then i give them a little something extra...mine seem to LOVE cooked sweet potatoes as the something extra [​IMG]

6. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    ditto on what they said . Even if it is one bite of something , they will soon be running to see you !

7. abejita

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I'll have to up the ante on the treats, I guess. Is it ok for me to pick them up and give them a treat? If I don't, they stay squashed up in the corner with their backs to me. I have been leaving veggie treats for them in a little bowl, but they don't do much more than stand in the bowl. I don't think that they had veggies before, so that could explain things. It was 102 today, so that is probably adding additional stress.

8. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:What I do is use a Kiddie plate...and the same one each time...That way the associate that plate and me with a treat of some kind....At first I had to chase each one down and hold them so they knew it was OK to eat..But after 2 times, they got the idea and now nearly knock me over at the gate....[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  9. abejita

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I kind of figured that it would be best to use the same dish. I have one tupperware that I keep by the sink and fill with goodies and bring it in the morning and put it in a bowl that I leave in there. I empty that bowl into the compost in the evening.

So I dug around in the fridge to find something irresistible since I didn't have any mealworms handy. They are crazy about...well...uh...chicken...it was all I had in the fridge and they gobbled it up. Got them to come within a foot or so of me!

10. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    If it's really hot - nothing better (in chick's eyes) than cold red grapes. If the grapes are small, I leave them whole. If a bit long shaped, I'll chop in 1/2.
    Same bowl, every time. Once one figures out this stuff is good, then that one will start taking it from your hand - before long, most everyone will take treats from your hands!
    Another cold treat - plain yogurt (I sprinkle dried mealworms on top). Yummy! Although they end up with yogurt covered feet too! Then they'll stand there licking their own toes (or the toes of the gal next to them!!!) Too funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by