I Just Want to Make it Home!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Iowa Roo Mom, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Issued by The National Weather Service
    Des Moines, IA
    12:28 am CST, Sun., Dec. 12, 2010

... BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM CST THIS MORNING...

* SHORT TERM TRENDS... AROUND 2 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW HAS ALREADY FALLEN... AND SNOWFALL WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE REGION TONIGHT. STRONG NORTHWEST WINDS OF 30 TO 40 MPH GUSTING TO NEAR 60 MPH WILL CONTINUE THE REMAINDER OF THE NIGHT.

* STORM TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS... SNOWFALL TOTALS OF 4 TO 7 INCHES ARE LIKELY BY THIS MORNING... WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS.

* WINDS/VISIBILITY... NORTHWESTERLY WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO CONTINUE OVER 40 MPH WITH GUSTS NEAR 60 MPH POSSIBLE. THIS WILL CREATE SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING AS WELL AND PRODUCE WIDESPREAD WHITE OUT CONDITIONS.

* IMPACTS... FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WILL CREATE LIFE THREATENING TRAVEL CONDITIONS. IN ADDITION... DANGEROUS WIND CHILL READINGS OF 20 TO 30 BELOW ZERO CAN BE EXPECTED.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE... LIFE THREATENING WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS AND POOR VISIBILITIES WILL OCCUR. THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES... MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. DO NOT TRAVEL. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF YOU GET STRANDED... STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE.

&&

More Information
    ... LIFE THREATENING BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ACROSS MOST OF IOWA TONIGHT...

TRAVEL IS NOT ADVISED OR NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TONIGHT OVER MUCH OF THE AREA.
    A STRONG WINTER STORM WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE OVERNIGHT HOURS. SNOW WILL DIMINISH FROM NORTHWEST TO SOUTHEAST OVERNIGHT HOWEVER... SUSTAINED NORTHWESTERLY WINDS OF 30 TO 40 MPH... WITH GUSTS FROM 50 TO 60 MPH WILL CONTINUE. SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING... WHITEOUT CONDITIONS... AND DANGEROUS WIND CHILLS OVERNIGHT.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so do you think they mentioned "life threatening" enough? Sheesh! All I ask is that I am able to make it home- or, at the very least, out of the parking lot, because I would rather sleep in my car in a snow drift than stay in this place any longer than I have to.

Wonder how much more snow we're going to get by 7:15 AM?

I just want to go home... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Can you make it home and delay leaving till after the storm? I know I would rather have my loved ones safe than home if it means traveling in unsafe conditions.

Once when I was stationed in Colorado, We were stuck in the Bowling alley for 4 hours during a bad storm - Our barracks was 200 feet across a parking lot and they would not let us out to walk across to it. Wasn't the coziest of places but we managed to have fun during the wait.

Caroline

3. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    I live 17 miles from work so I left an hour and a half early. Made it to work with 8 minutes to spare! The mile from my mailbox to the nearest county road took me a half hour alone. Drive forward two feet, back up two feet, drive forward three feet, back up two feet, drive forward....You get the idea. I wouldn't have tried if I wasn't an "essential" person.

Seriously, though. If you can't leave the parking lot, please don't try. If you get stuck on the roadway, like I did repeatedly, it could be dangerous for you if a plow comes through but can't see you because of the blowing snow. Being safe is better than being away from work.

Let us know how it goes.

4. Iowa Roo Mom

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Oh no, I mean leave from work! I want to get home from work! My poor 'ol dog will have his legs crossed as it is [​IMG] Besides, I'm nearly 8 hours through my shift now and all I can think about is getting home, taking a nice hot shower, and curling up next to my sweet pitty (after I take him out to potty of course) Then it's off to dinner with the man when I get up this evening

[​IMG]

5. Arcnadius

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    Just be very, very careful. Hope you have 4-wheel drive, but you might be okay 'cause the snow has stopped for now. Plows have been out in some spots but the drifting snow is snagging a few cars. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! [​IMG]

6. Iowa Roo Mom

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Thanks! It's still snowing here. I talked to one of the medics who had been out recently, they said it's dicey.
    When a paramedic says "dicey" I tend to get a titch concerned [​IMG]

No 4 wheel drive for me, just a front wheel drive Ford Focus. But, it's a stick shift which I am way more comfortable with in this weather. If it looks too bad, I will stop at SO's house. He lives right in town... But I really need to make it home for Diesel's sake. He doesn't get out from just after 6 PM 'till just after 7 AM. I love my 'ol boy too much not to give it my very best effort to make it home.

Plus- have I mentioned that it's been a terrible night and I'm exhausted? [​IMG]

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Hope you are home by now!

My dh was in KY yesterday heading to Indiana and said it was raining hard.Rain to ice to snow. Prayers for all out on the roads!

We did a quick run to the food store yesterday,as it was sunny and 45,(heat wave!) to get some essentials.

My dogs would never bother to hold it if they have to go,hence the reason they are now in the side room off our garage!

8. Arcnadius

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    Hope it's not a long drive for you. I also drive a clutch and love it in the snow like we got yesterday. My RAV4 got a HUGE hug for getting me to work safely although I did provide some entertainment for the neighbors as I creeped along at a blistering speed of .5 MPH (the spedometer said I was doing 15!). A baby could have crawled faster.

Hope Diesel's eyes aren't yellow by the time you make it home. He may need an extra treat for the inconvenience!

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by