1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by purplepeep, Apr 11, 2009.

1. purplepeep

purplepeep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    Northern Ontario
    So we are onto day 4 with our babies, and I have never ever raised chickens before, let alone day old chicks. I have no idea what I am doing, other that all the research I have done. I guess you could say I am feeling overwhelmed. I have included pictures of our brooder set-up which is in our sunroom for the moment, because we still have literally 5 feet of snow here. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are my egg layers:
    [​IMG]

And my meat birds:
    [​IMG]

I have been hand feeding all the babies every day, and play with them as often as I can. I wash their water fountians every morning, fluff up their wood shavings, scooping out the really yucky bits, and wash and fill their feeders. They all seem content, and make cute little 'beep-beep' sounds all day. At night they all sprawl out and sleep, and when I get up at night to check on them they are all usually sleeping. Is there anything more I should be doing for them? Are they going to be ok? This is my first time ever, and I just want to do it right.[​IMG]

2. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Pretty neat how you got the lights..I see you got some wire up on the sides..how deep is that ..I know from raising them that in two to three weeks they get to want to fly out if they can..they are so cute though... [​IMG]

3. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    Have you had many to die if not your doing everything right it looks to me you have the big 3 taken care of food, water, and heat looks like they are happy to me and your doing good

4. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    You're doing it all wrong. You better send them all to me. [​IMG]

Sounds like you are doing everything right from what I know.

5. chicky gal1

chicky gal1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    they are adorable! Do you have coops ready for them outside? They grow super fast!!! [​IMG]

6. purplepeep

purplepeep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    Northern Ontario
    I have not had any die. All 32 that I ordered are still peeping.
    We don't have their coop ready yet. There is soooo much snow here still, that we still can't access it. I am getting worried about what on earth I am going to do with 32 chickens who have outgrown their brooder if this darn snow doesn't start melting soon...... [​IMG]
    Thanks for the reassurance everyone. You have no idea how much it is appreciated [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  7. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Make sure you give 'em lots and LOTS of LOVE!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    Since you still have all of them i would say your doing a great job because you will lose the most during the first couple of days then its all gravy from that point on now it is just coop building and fence running good luck

9. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like you'll have a sun room coop! LOL!

[​IMG]

I can relate on the snow, we still have snow on the ground, and can't begin our new run. The frost may not be out of the ground till July at this rate. We can't seem to warm up! [​IMG]

Congrats on your birds! It looks and sounds like all your research paid off nicely. You are doing everything great! And no deaths out of 32 is really REALLY good.

Keep up the great job and have fun!

Ma

10. tamlynn

tamlynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Torrance, CA
    Looks great! but I bet in about 2-3 weeks they will be jumping/flying out of there, even with that chicken wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by