1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I just want to say THANK YOU!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RatherBfarmin, Dec 23, 2013.

1. RatherBfarmin

RatherBfarmin Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2013
    West Texas
    I want to give a shout out to various knowledgeable people all over BYC! I've been scouring the duck threads for some time now, learning everything I can to be prepared in a worst case scenario. My hubby and I have a flock of 10 (Pekin, K.C, Mallard, Cayuga, and I believe a Swedish) and it's been very entertaining to learn and watch them grow. Recently I have had a bad case of bumblefoot with my youngest Pekin male. I thought at first it was a swollen ankle, as the flock will periodically chase each other around the pen and play 'tag'. I followed advice from multiple topics dealing with foot injuries, swelling, etc. and during the course of treatment, discovered it was way worse than anything I was thinking it could be! For some reason bumblefoot came to mind, as I had read threads dealing with it awhile ago. Of course, I had no idea what it was, since I didn't have ducks at the time. However, after swallowing my panic, and stomach, I did some quick thread searches and found what I was looking for. I hit the jackpot...but not in a good way! Though with all of your guidance, wisdom and clear cut instructions on every aviary (and 4-legged, gardening, DIY, etc) topic under the sun, it was clear what I had to do to ensure the health of our flock.

I followed instructions, took my time and, thankfully, had a very cooperative duck! Little Ducky is doing a lot better now, his foot is wrapped, after being slathered in TAO (Triple Antibiotic Ointment) and he was almost immediately able to walk on it (well, minus the limp, which is still better than he started off doing today!)

So, in all, thank you! I could have easily lost a duck due to being a novice, but thanks to people like you who share information, it has given me a better support system than I could ever hope to have!

I cannot thank you enough! [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Little Ducky thanks you too! (I'll post a healing picture after he's had a chance to rest)

2. RatherBfarmin

May 11, 2013
    West Texas
    No one needs to feel obligated to respond in any way, I just hope everyone will at least read it! I feel I must express my gratitude for all the knowledge I have gained and all the helpful people assisting every step of the way!

You guys are awesome [​IMG]

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Glad the information has helped.

Let's please keep the communications going for a bit, post-op.

You have probably read these things already, but was the leg warm, indicating possible spreading of the infection? You want to keep an eye out for that, and if it is a possibility, consider an oral antibiotic.

And you know to keep that opened foot clean, clean, clean.[​IMG]

How is the patient today? Such a lovely duck. [​IMG]

4. RatherBfarmin

May 11, 2013
    West Texas
    Well I changed the wrappings and everything this morning and there was a bunch of fluid drainage. It didn't look to be that much smaller (inflammation wise) than yesterday, so I think I'm going to be browsing around to see about the possibility of giving Naproxen to a duck. Yes the ankle was hot yesterday, but just in that area. I felt it again today and noticed it wasn't burning like last night, but was still warm to the touch. I am hoping I didn't catch it too late :(. Any ideas for oral antibiotics? Or is that something I have to go to the vet for (assuming vets in this area even look at ducks). I got some clear iodine and have been cleaning with that...shiniest duck foot I've ever seen! [​IMG]
    He's doing better today, though he didn't want me to snatch him up this morning. After I managed to grab him and flipped him over on my lap, he knew what was going to happen and just laid there all still and let me do what I needed to do! xD Glad he did, since the hubby is away and unable to assist me hah!

Little Ducky is still hobbling around, but seems to be bearing more weight on the foot, here and there, and is doing his best to keep with the rest of the flock. I put them all in an indoor make-shift pen for inclement weather due to the temperatures (and the fact that half our ducks are molting/have molted and were shivering with water droplets frozen to them...poor things!) No idea why they'd decide to molt right before it gets freezing cold outside...but I have yet to master the inner workings of a duck haha. (Still lots to learn!)

Here's a few pics I was able to capture this morning. He certainly seems more trusting with me than he used to be (considering I did not raise him from an egg).
    [​IMG]
    After cleaning really well and before slathering with TAO and wrapping
    [​IMG]
    Just chillin', waiting for his chance to be right-side up again xD

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    This one is going to take some patience on your part, I think and let's see if we can get some other voices on here, see if we can put our heads together and help your little one out.

Have you soaked in Epsom salt? You probably know it is a laxative so you don't just put it in the bathwater, I like to use warm compresses. If I were you, I would be soaking the foot and leg three times a day if possible. Miss Lydia has a shallow tiny bucket she has the duck stand in with Epsom salt and warm water. That way they cannot reach the bucket to drink. She has Muscovies.

Sometimes if there is still something in the foot (may have been started by a thorn, for example), the swelling won't go down till that is removed.

Some vets are good at extracting those things, others not so much.

Marty1876 (did I remember the number right?) has suggested using a potato bandage to draw out a thorn. Mildred's story details that.

I have heard of metacam used for ducks, and there is another - maybe rimadyl? Not sure I remember that right.

You may be able to finish this up without any more cutting. Not that it is never a good idea, I just try to find a way around it. Some folks are better at that than others, I think there is more than one right way to deal with it.

So, did you get a plug out of the bumble? It may take some time for that to happen.

6. RatherBfarmin

May 11, 2013
    West Texas
    Yeah, definitely going to need oodles of patience! I get so impatient when these poor guys are hurting :(.

I haven't soaked in salt, but I have been doing multiple warm water baths to get the weight off the foot and soak it. I think the only problem with the bucket idea, in my case, is he won't stand on both feet. He'll temporarily stand on one or just plop onto the ground. I'm not sure if there's a thorn in there or not. I thought it a little odd to be located on the side of the ankle (hence why I thought at first it was just a swollen/sprained ankle).

I tried looking at the mass earlier (the above picture) and gently prodded around with a pair of flat-tipped tweezers in-case I needed to remove any foreign objects, but didn't see anything. Honestly it was kind of hard to see much of anything in it this time around. Potato bandage? Hmm, I'll have to look that up in case the thorn is a possibility. Any idea where I can find either metacam or rimadyl? I'll have to look those up.

I was thinking about not being invasive, but after seeing that large scab with white, hardened, almost pus-looking stuff attached to it, I knew it had to be removed! The scab was softened, partially opened from the surrounding flesh, and I didn't even have to cut to get in there. When I started pulling it off (as gently as I could) a big mass came along with it! I did end up removing what I think is the plug if it was a large-ish chunk of hardened, white pus-looking stuff. I know this might sound gross, but it's kinda like the hardened crap you remove out of a large blackhead, if that helps at all. I posted a pic of it (on 2 cotton balls) for reference.

With that removed, what's next? Aside from getting the infection to subside and the swelling to go down? Is the worst part over?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you have Epsom salt? that stuff is awesome for drawing down swelling and will help with healing. you don't have to have him stand I also use a dish pan the plastic kind once I put the cup of ES into the warm water and place my duck in there he is actually laying down. and he fills the pan so no way to drink the water. and on the goose thread a member had her vet do the surgery on her gander because the infection had gone into the bone but what he said use to clean out the foot was Chlorhexidine gluconate, I asked at my feed store if they had it and they said they could order it for me, so I went to CVS and got some there CVS brand it's an antiseptic skin cleaner. I wanted to have some on hand for my med chest.
    Keep that wound as clean as you can. since I can't copy paste right now on here go to the goose thread and read about Spirit- the amazing grey dewlap gander he's the one that had the bumble you may be able to glean so valuable info from it.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. RatherBfarmin

May 11, 2013
    West Texas
    I currently do not. I'd have to make a run to the store after I look up which ones are currently open given the day lol. I can try the dish pan idea, seems like a possibility!

I'll definitely be on the lookout for Chlorhexidine gluconate, never hurts to have some on hand! (I really don't care about name brand stuff, so no worries there!)

I'll go check out that thread you mentioned as well to see if I can't learn more information. Thank you for the assistance!

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Look forward to hearing updates on your duck, hope all goes well, Epsom salt can be bought at grocery stores too. also CVS.

Merry Christmas!!

10. RatherBfarmin

May 11, 2013
    West Texas
    Merry Xmas to you too! Sorry been busy the last couple of days, but been soaking the foot in Epsom salt and it looks to be a bit better, though still swollen. The area had scabbed over, and once softened, I carefully removed it to make sure there wasn't any more pus or chunks of the plug that needed to be removed. Luckily, I didn't see anything so disinfected with iodine, slathered in TAO and rebandaged the leg.

How long does it tend to take for swelling to go down in a duck's leg? I thought it would have gone down by now...but maybe I'm just being impatient >.<

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by