I just want to scream cry and scream

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by violetsky, Jun 29, 2011.

1. violetsky

violetsky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Has anyone else had over 90 percent roosters hatch? I started buying eggs early this spring
    including 2 orders of extra expensive lavender ameraucana eggs,
    hatched a bunch of roos, kept the only hen that hatched. Hen got nabbed by predator, sold
    roos. Ordered more eggs had a fair hatch one hen, bunch of roos, sold some, gave away
    some and kept 3. Ordered more eggs had a poor hatch of only 4 chicks. All four are looking suspiously
    rooish. WAAAH! My husband is going to cook my three beautiful roos I kept this August. No one
    wants roos this time of year. I can't believe we are going to eat a lovely lavender ameraucana,
    a black dorking with irridescent blue feathers and a blue ameraucana.
    [​IMG]:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:On a brighter note, the average REALLY does work out to be about 50/50 ....soooooooooooooooooooo:

JUST THINK ABOUT ALL THE LITTLE GIRLS YOU ARE DUE TO HATCH IN THE FUTURE!

[​IMG]

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Quote:Only on the rare and expensive breeds. The common breeds average about 50/50.

Murphy's law #26 I think....

[​IMG]

4. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I know what you're going through. I have 6 roos (at least) and need to get down to one reg.-size roo and one silkie. I just realised yesterday that one of my SGs is a roo----I only have 3 SGs! I'm just praying that none of my 4 Polish are roos, but suspect that 3 of them are. I'm trying to sell the roos off mainly because my hens backs are getting bare, but also because Hubby says they must go as they don't earn their keep like the hens do. [​IMG] I have 2 beautiful EES, 1 silkie (possibly 2), 1 ShowGirl, and a couple of NNs that need new homes.

5. bunnibird55

bunnibird55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I feel your pain! My first hatch in February was 15 cockerals and 4 pullets. One of those pullets, Penny, our very favorite, is sick with egg binding and we just brought her back from a visit with our avian vet. These were all New Hampshires.
    I had some shipped Buckeye eggs the next time and got three cockerals with seven pullets. It's all just a crap shoot!

6. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Wish you were in Huntsville,Texas instead of Alabama. I'd love to get one of the roos. Sorry about your luck though
    piecemaker

7. violetsky

violetsky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    I guess I won't be going to Vegas anytime soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by