I just wanted some blue/ green eggs! PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by IdahoSpring, Nov 29, 2013.

1. IdahoSpring

IdahoSpring Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2013
    Bought these as Ameraucanas. I've read conflicting information on breed characteristics (although I know EE is not a "breed") I wanted to get some opinions. Btw, they were born in may and are not laying yet! I keep telling myself "any day now..." But no colored eggs in the box. They also seem to like sleeping in the box and not on the roost. Husband is starting to call them freeloaders which is never a good sign lol. I said give them til the new year at least! There are three total, hope you can differentiate from the pics: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    They are ee's, but still have a chance of laying you some pretty colored eggs. Since they are coming up on the egg laying age, if the days are getting shorter where you are (which I think is the case from your name) they may not start till spring unless you are lighting their coop.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    X2

You could put a light in their coop timed to come on at 4 am to increase their day length. They look like they are at point of lay. And there is a good chance they will lay blue/green eggs.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They are ee hens, so that's a good sign for you!

I have birds hatched Memorial Day that MAY have just started laying, I'm not positive it's them but we seem to be getting some different looking eggs from the usual. I had written them off until spring, cause I don't use a light. That's the kicker hatching in the late spring or summer, it often seems to delay her maturity longer than very early spring hatches.

5. IdahoSpring

Nov 28, 2013
    We don't use a light either. We did last year but decided just to let nature do its thing this year. Although, we will probably put a heat lamp in there this weekend because we are supposed to have single digits soon. I shall wait patiently for my hopefully blue/green eggs! Thanks everyone for the responses.

6. They are EEs, but Easter Eggers lay blue/green eggs too. They will probably lay after winter..

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  7. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    When I had EEs they took much longer to mature than other birds, but they were very productive. I hope to get a new batch of them this spring. Enjoy the eggs, once they start![​IMG]

8. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Definitely EE's and very pretty girls! I always hear that EE's are late to mature but mine was the first of my mixed flock to lay. I picked up an EE, a Delaware, 2 barred rocks and 2 buff rocks, all hatched April 3rd. The EE laid her first egg on August 15th at exactly 19 weeks. I know it was her as it was beautifully blue. She's been a very consistent layer since that time.

I'm guessing the shorter days sure isn't helping your girl get started. Fingers crossed it won't be too long and finding those blue eggs will certainly be worth the wait!

9. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    For some reason, my colored egg layers have always been late starters. 6 months isn't too long to wait for them to start, and once they do, they should lay through the winter since it's their first year. Next year, though, they'll stop when the days get too short. Slow down, at least.

10. IdahoSpring

Nov 28, 2013
    I really appreciate all the replies. These girls are the friendliest, most inquisitive birds. They follow my toddler daughter around like she is the chicken whisperer! They hop the fence to be with her.[​IMG] I can't wait to see their eggs. I will be sure to update the post when I get my first colored egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by