1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I just went out to the chicken house and (read for more)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pkw, Nov 1, 2010.

1. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I brought the egg into the house and it measures the size of a quarter. It is so cute. My chickens are white orps, black australorps, turkens, new hampshire reds and a few other standard sized chickens. I have 2 hens that consistently lays eggs that are as big as a duck egg even almost as big as a goose egg and those eggs are always double yolked eggs. I sure hope the hen that layed this little egg starts laying bigger eggs. I wish I had a camera to take a picture of the egg for you to see.

I don't want to crack the egg open.

2. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:I tried hatching one of em like that once for a friend. Nothing happened but it sure was the cutest little egg I ever saw.

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    It will be a wind/fart egg. They are usually laid by young layers. If you crack it open most of the time they will be all white and no yoke. They are the cutest little eggs to find in the hen house. Your hen will start to lay larger eggs. These are like a practice run.

4. misschickenlittle

misschickenlittle REALLY wants a new title

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    [​IMG]
    I know how you feel! I didn't want to crack open my first eggs either! They were so cute and tiny... but I did.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

You could blow it out and save it.

Imp

6. GoldenCometLover

GoldenCometLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    Freeville, NY
    [​IMG] That's what I did - it's now saved in a jar for me to show everyone and say "This is my first egg!"[​IMG]

7. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

I also blew, and saved (also in a jar!) my first ever egg and my tiniest.
    Love to see them every day, if no other reason than to compare today's eggs to. Muuuuch bigger, now!

8. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    Most of my hens are already laying and though their first eggs were small, they were not anywhere near small like this egg. I am going to blow it out and keep it to show people. I know there is really no way to incubate this egg because it would have to be one heck of a midget chick to grow in there. I am thinking it was laid by one of my new hampshire hens because their eggs are the darkest eggs of all my hens.

9. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    My first tiny egg I cracked it open completely formed with a tiny yolk. I took pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by