I just witnessed my first "Broody" moment!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BrahmaMama, Feb 18, 2008.

1. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    My dear husband built me a 4-plex chicken ICU unit. Right now it is in our garage, and all units are rented out. [​IMG] I have a light Brahma that got her head pecked pretty bad at the beginning of winter (tried reintroducing her after I thought she was healed up, and they went after the same spot again) in one, and EE with her tail area picked at, and two of my unknown buff hens, who seem to be favored by my buff Brahma roo [​IMG]

Anyway, one of the buff hens has been growling and pecking at us when we collect eggs. The last two days I've gone out there twice a day, she's been in the same nest. Last night though (before we moved her into the new pen) she was out, so I felt the eggs, and they were all cold. Well, she's still acting that way, and had one egg in her new nest, so I just got in from putting 4 more eggs in with her. I put them right next to her breast area, and went up on the ramp ( I can see in the side of the cage from there) and stood there for a few seconds. Sure enough, she took the eggs, one at a time and tucked them under her [​IMG] I don't know if she will follow through, but here's hoping!

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Congrats! Haveing a broody is soo much fun! I have a VERY broody BO hen. So, I gave her 3 turkey eggs!! Tuesday will be day 10, so I will TRY to get in there and candle them. [​IMG] Hopeing they are fertile! Good luck with your hen....I hope she stays broody!

3. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Thank you, [​IMG] Good luck with yours too, I'd love to hatch some turkeys some day [​IMG]

4. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Congratulations! Having broody hens sure sounds fun and exciting! I wish my young RIR hen would magically become broody...........It's so exciting......

Good luck! Hope the eggs make it!

5. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Thank you SillyChick [​IMG] I just put two more out there this morning, and she did the same thing [​IMG]

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Broody hens are fun, so silly in their deadly serious way!

7. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Oh, I get a chuckle every time I reach in there, and she poofs up and growls [​IMG]

I'm sitting here laughing now, thinking about her [​IMG]

8. RyanAndMeri

RyanAndMeri Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2007
    Hahah congratulations! Broody hens make my wife and I laugh for probably way too long. Don't they make the oddest noises? [​IMG]

9. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Quote:Yes, they do! I remember when I first heard it, I couldn't believe it came from a chicken! [​IMG]

10. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Now, this weekend mine made those weird noises and tucked the egg but then did indeed get off the nest.

Does this mean that they could go broody later? One was pecking anything that got near her but then she did go out to free range later.

Ellie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by