I just witnessed.........The Craziest thing.....Duck/Goose cross ????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bec, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

My Kahki Campbell DUCK BREEDING my Mix breed GOOSE!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    My 4 year old daughter came RUNNING to me and said i must come see what is happening...she said...Willis is balancing right up on Gretchens Back!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Is this possible??? Well I mean, I know it possible because I just saw it with my own eyes, but can they sucesfully breed together?????

I am editing to add that I just searched and searched to see what I could find on the internet and came up with nothing......

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I have a "married" runner drake and chinese goose couple. They were raised together and are very bonded, though he cheats on her with the other geese.
    This time of year drakes don't care who or what they mate with. A vent is a vent as far as they are concerned. Of course, no offspring will result.

3. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    LOL!!!!!! my RIR/EE cross roo, used to mate my Cayuga ducks all the time, we just figured that they were easier to catch than those speedy hens!! LOL!!![​IMG]

4. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    a vent is a vent LOL - my drake is the living proof of that he tries to breed with my chickens - so now they are in a duck only yard !!

can you picture the mix that would make duck/chicken [​IMG]

Julie

5. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Ok then...LOL

I guess I will just let them be happy....[​IMG]

This was just so bizarre to me...Hahahahaa

I was getting excited...I looked it up and ducks and geese are in the same family and subfamily so i was starting to hope that maybe I would have something different here...

6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Does anyone KNOW...100% it can't happen? I had an accidental litter of hamster/mouse cross babies when I was a kid. It was really cool.

7. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    A duck and goose cannot cross. A duck and a chicken cannot cross. And also a goose and a chicken cannot cross.

There is a major size difference, and also they are a whole different species. Its like a horse and a cow mating... they can mate, but cannot produce fertile offspring.

8. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    A corse or a How, lol. Ok, I think I need to get off, I'm losing my mind. [​IMG]

9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Also, they have differing numbers of paired chromosomes and genes.

Ducks and geese will even try to mate chickens and turkeys! None of those eggs would be fertile though.

10. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    A horse and a donkey can mate, they have a different number of paired chromosomes, so the resulting off spring will be sterile. Same with horse or donkey with a zebra.

Just an aside, but my brother. . . don't know what he was thinking. . . was wondering what a cross between a horse and pony would be . . . a horny? Don't worry I explain it all to him. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by