I keep telling my golden Sebrights...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by pipdzipdnreadytogo, Jul 21, 2011.

1. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    ...YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE BROODY! [​IMG]
    Every day, I pull one of the two out of the nestbox (the third, fortunately, realizes what breed she is and doesn't brood). I'm getting them out at noon, afternoon, late afternoon, evening, roost time, the next morning..! [​IMG] It's a darned good thing they're cute, or they'd've had the boot a long time ago!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    That's Martha in the first picture and Rose in the second picture. They let me hold them on their backs like little babies when I pull them out of the nest, looking at be with those big brown eyes as if to say, 'But... But I'm your cute, fragile little banty..!'
    [​IMG] Okay, I forgive you!

...Anyway... Anyone else having over-the-top-broody issues this year? I tell you, I've never had so many of the same broodies in and out of the broody-buster, between these two and the Wyandottes! On top of it, it's so hot right now, I don't think the broody-buster's doing a thing anyway..! [​IMG] I can't wait for fall...

2. ouracrybaby

ouracrybaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Wellsburg
    you cant stay mad at those faces!

3. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Let me just say that I started with 6 Golden Laced Sebright hens and 2 roos (last summer).....since then we have had about 5 seperate groups of chicks......the little boogers go off and go broody under the barn, or next door. It's like they know I don't want them to have chicks, so they go and hide....which is CRAZY!!! They will lay eggs in the nesting boxes.....unless they have other things on their minds........like hiding their nest.

I absolutely ADORE my sebrights!!!! They definitely add some humor to our flock. They just LOVE TO GO BROODY!!! Never, ever, ever have I EVER had a chicken love to hatch out eggs like my Sebrights. Luckily, I was able to find some good people to take all of the chicks.....and needless to say.....NEVER had any problem finding homes for them.

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Gosh.. I would have loved to have a broody in April! Then I could have had my Dellie mix babies before Big Boy was gone.

Haha, your Sebrights are cute though! Rose's eyes are so sweet.

5. pipdzipdnreadytogo

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Quote:I thought I read that Sebrights were NOT broody, though! Needless to say, they've defied my expectations in THAT department. XD They are so cute though, even when they puff out and growl at me. They aren't with a rooster, however, so brooding does them no good, especially in the weather we've been having!

Quote:They have to be because she goes broody the most of all the girls. [​IMG]

I know it doesn't work (after many, many tries I've come to that conclusion), but I soak my broodies in cold water every time I catch them in the act if only just because they stay out of the nest to preen for a while afterward. Well, my mom pointed out to me today that maybe they're pretending to brood just to get a cool off. [​IMG] It's been around 100 today and it isn't hard to believe there's something more going on in those little heads.... jk, jk. [​IMG]

6. redhotchick

redhotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I gotta say I have some Sebrights too.I always tell people they are more like wild birds that are "chicken like".I love mine! I have silver & gold & want more!

7. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    that is such a funny story! Cute little banties! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2011
  8. NC29mom

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Had to post some pictures of my Golden Laced Sebrights!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    poor thing.......she's HOT...

[​IMG]
    this is my youngest hen....

9. pipdzipdnreadytogo

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Aw, NC29mom, they're so cute! [​IMG] I love how tiny they are, and their little feet... Gah, it's no wonder I can't stay mad at the little darlings! [​IMG]

10. NC29mom

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Quote:they are adorable...thanks! I see you also have silver sebrights.......do you ever have problems with the silver mating with the golden? Do you let them roam the yard together? Or do you keep them separate? I was thinking about getting some silvers.....but was worried about them cross breeding......just wondering!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by