1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I keep thinking about this.And i know i should have voiced my thoughts.But i kept my mouth shut.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by bucky52, Dec 18, 2013.

1. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    A lady I know.I wouldn't call her a friend as I only see her once a year at a Christmas get togather.we got on the subject of raising chickens.she feeds her chickens dog food and goat feed.I.am shocked.she has raised and kept chickens for many years off and on.she said that it was the only thing that they will eat. the whole time she was telling me this.I was thinking to myself.I wonder if she had even tried feeding them chicken feed.she keeps them at her son's house and they free range.she said she had lost all of them but four.to hawks and dogs.Also she could not get any one to build her a coop and run.She has a grown son and husband.and i'am sure she could afford to pay someone to build her one.

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's a shame, but I'm glad she's feeding them something. Unfortunately, it seems like the people who need advice the worst are never willing to take it! The good news is the birds probably won't suffer any MAJOR issues with that diet. They can be pretty resilient garbage disposals and do well with a poor diet. If they are free ranging they are probably getting other nutrients from that at least during the warmer months.

I don't know how people expect to keep chickens without housing though. In cold areas it seems cruel, but it also has to be terrifying for the bird. Chickens are quite domestic and MOST breeds are not meant for a freerange only lifestyle.

3. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    She was telling me stories about her chickens.I knew she does really care for them.She planes on going to tractor supply in the spring and picking up more chicks to raise.hopefully by than she can find someone to build her a coop and run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by