1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I kicked my rooster, now he's hurt!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mamapoint, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Mamapoint

Mamapoint New Egg

Aug 26, 2011
    I am a new chicken owner. My DH and I bought 14 hens and a young rooster from a previous owner about a month ago. This evening the rooster started attacking my husband. Then when I went into the run to change the water and other chores, the rooster started coming after me. The previous owner told me if he started to attack to kick him in the butt to let him know who's boss. SO as I'm trying to put the waterer down in the run, the rooster attacked my leg with his claws like 6 or 7 times in a row. I dropped the waterer and was yelling at him "NOOO!" and trying to kick him and he would back up to avoid my foot. At some point I made contact with his chest with my foot as he was coming at me feet first. Then he dropped to the ground and laid on his chest panting, obviously hurt. Then he went under the coop, then he went out the other side and was kind of flopping around like he was either very hurt or very freaked out and trying to fly. I went to get my husband and he was back under the coop. Later I saw him walking around the run. Then when it was time to close up the coop, he was laying in a nesting box with his head resting on the roost at the end of the box looking very sad. I FEEL TERRIBLE!!!! Other than these random moments of repeatedly attacking us, he has been a really good rooster. I am just heart sick. [​IMG] I'm not an experienced chicken owner and just thought I was trying to establish order and dominance over him but now I've really hurt him. And I don't have the knowledge or the experience to try to handle him and see how hurt he is. So I don't know why I'm posting this other than if anyone has any suggestions on how I can help him tomorrow if he's still hurt, please let me know. If he's really hurt I guess we'll have to call a vet or put him down. [​IMG] Soooo sad.

THanks,

Judy

2. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    I am new at this chicken thing too, but i've been told not to kick them. In order to show them you are the boss, i heard you should catch them, put your hand on their back, gently push them in a laying position, and hold them there for a few minutes. This is supposed to show your dominance over them. I hope he is ok, i'm sure you were just frightened, but i feel so bad for the rooster. Fortunately i have not had to go through this, my roosters are friendlier than my hens, although they are still pretty young (3 months). I'm sure when they mature, i will have to deal with this.

3. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    So sorry things turned out as it did. Don't beat yourself up. That's what your rooster was trying to do. People can give you all kinds of advice on establishing dominance and how to control a rooster and sometimes it just doesn't work. You did what you had to do. Attacks on people is simply unacceptable. Let him rest tonight and see how he looks in the AM. I hope everything works out for you.[​IMG]

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:I agree with this statement. Don't beat yourself over it. It happened in a split second and you acted out in defense (kicking). I would have done the same thing too. Attacking humans is not acceptable and I would rehome the roo or kill him myself.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    double post

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  6. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Normally kicking doesn't hurt them too bad. So he should be fine.
    Keep an eye on him and see if his condition worsens.
    I don't kick my roosters because that actually makes them think you are fighting with them roo to roo.
    It kinda encourages the behavior.
    So i just hold them down to the ground or pick them up till they stop fussing.
    Or peck the with my finger.
    It kinda emasculates them, especially if you do it in front of the hens.
    Any rooster i have had is a bantam though, so they are easier to handle.
    I wish you and your rooster luck!
    Let us know how he is tomorrow!

7. Mamapoint

Mamapoint New Egg

Aug 26, 2011
    Thank you so much for your advice and support. I'm trying not to beat myself up but I am really sad about it. Thanks for everything everyone suggested. I learned a lot of new idea's if it happens again. I will let you know how he looks in the morning. thanks again very much.

8. SFlChicks

SFlChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2010
    South Florida
    I only have hens so I don't have any first hand advice. However, I remember reading a post a while back that suggesting keeping a broom handy until your roster knows the pecking order. It makes sense that the length of a broom stick would give you enough space to avoid being hurt, while the bristle end should be large enough to discourage the attacks. I hope the morning brings good news. [​IMG]

9. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    I recently had a Golden Sebright roo attack me, he was a little flying fury! He has 3 1/2" long spurs and realllly long toe nails. I have about six deep punctures from that attack, I took several large steps toward him (he was backing up and fluffing up his hackles) then I scooped his legs out from under him and held him there, then gently set him back down. Gee, did he skedaddle [​IMG] He's never bothered me since. But, that boys' more of a coward, if it was a different roo like my LB he probably wouldn't have backed down so fast.

10. Mamapoint

Mamapoint New Egg

Aug 26, 2011
    He's okay! He was late getting up and didn't start crowing until my DH went to investigate. But he got up and out of the coop, was walking around fine, was eating and even flapped his wings. I'm very relieved. And thank you to everyone for the great suggestions. I don't feel like I'm savvy enough yet to reach out and grab a rooster's feet [​IMG], but I like the idea of keeping a broom in the run. That will atleast help me feel more confident when I'm in there. Thanks again very much for all your suggestions and support! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by