I kid you not, it was a staged INVASION....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by icbleu, Oct 10, 2013.

1. icbleu

icbleu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2013
    Antioch, CA
    It began innocently enough...

Sunday breakfast with our first eggs - assiduously collected, one at a time, over the course of the week. I chopped onions and heated sausage while DH made the coffee and shredded some cheese. When it was all cooked we decided some toast would round it out nicely. I popped some bread into the toaster and that's when it happened...

The chickens were MAKING A DISTURBANCE IN THE BACKYARD. When we looked up from what we were doing, all four of them were pressed up against our back door - beaks to window - trying to get inside. At first we didn't realize what was really going on. We naively assumed that they were just being their usual over-excited selves, had seen us, and quickly invented a new way to try to beg for some treats. I went back to finding the lid for the skillet and DH started setting the table.

Then all of a sudden the peaceful Sunday morning was broken with a loud crash! Henrietta had come charging THROUGH the metal barrier on our side yard and was running towards the screen door in the dog run - the one that doesn't really latch. I suggested to DH we get her out of there before she realizes we have yummy cabbage and broccoli and other winter veggies growing in that area that are delicious to determined chickens.

Much squawking and flapping and running THROUGH the rows of veggies ensued and I quickly realized I needed to go out and assist DH cornering her for retrieval. With Henrietta firmly tucked under my arm we brought her into the house briefly before setting her free in the backyard with her flock. She made a few halfhearted lunges toward the kitchen area, but I just kept walking towards the back door.

As we sat down to eat Henrietta's first eggs it dawned on me what just happened. Do you think she knew?? Was she trying to stop us? When I broached it to DH, he gave me that "look" he saves just for me. His only official comment was that the eggs were delicious.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Revenge shall be theirs. [​IMG]

3. chickiegrrl

chickiegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Monticello, MN
    Henrietta looks *completely* disturbed in that photo. I'm positive that she knew! [​IMG]

4. kkelsh14

kkelsh14 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2013
    Indiana
    LOL this is too funny! It's hilarious the personalities these birds can have! I bet she was proud of her first eggs, like they were trophies and you took them. And I can definitely relate the hubby stink eye. You and I could be good friends I bet, my husband silently makes me feel stupid or crazy all the time. :)

5. shoregirl68

shoregirl68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Maryland
    While I believe you it is so funny. My ducks and chickens will eat their own shells after we use eggs. We love our girls. Maybe you could leave a few out so they don't feel so violated. I have a mallard sitting on what I'm pretty sure are un fertile eggs but she seems so content I hate to burst her bubble. If a chicken or my pekin lays there i remove those eggs and just let her brood away. I'll candle them in a few weeks to see for certain.

Golf balls, store bought eggs. We have so many eggs now I'm ok with leaving a few for the queen bees to sit on...got to keep them happy to keep them laying?! We're new to all of this but our flock is all we talk about. Poor cats and guinea pigs have been knocked down a few notches on the totem pole....and well possibly house work and DH too...shhhh that's our little secret ;-)

Good luck...I'm beginning to think while they cleary have memory issues they are not "bird brains" :cd

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by