I killed 6 chicks I am so sorry

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ginbart, Apr 12, 2009.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Thursday I had to go to TSC and get extra water bottles and feeders. I was going away for 3 days and I know my DH was here but I wanted to make sure they had water and feed.

I walked in the store and could here the chicks. They were calling me. I had eggs in the bator and thought DH would not know they didn't come from my eggs so I got 6 little fuzzy butt bantams. All of them had feathers on their legs. They were so cute. I put them in a large plastic container I was going to use for my chicks but left them in the box. Five minutes later they were all dead. [​IMG] I put the light to close to them I quess. I had to get ready to go to my daughters and boy I didn't want to do anything after that. I hand picked them. One was black and white two looked like they were lavender and I could go on and on but I have never felt so bad in my life. Needless to say I tried to have a good time at my daughters but all I could think of was those cute little babies I killed.

I'm now going to send my DH to TSC to get my feed I don't want to ever go in there again. [​IMG]

I came home to about 60 chicks that hatched while I was gone. DH did I fine job of taking care of them but when I look at them I think of the 6 I killed. It's going to be a long week. Ginger

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Hang in there. We all make mistakes. You'll never make that one again, I'm certain.

Just remember you are loved.[​IMG]

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Your right, I'll never do that again. Thanks, it's just hard and I couldn't tell anyone until tonight because I just got home. I know people on here will understand how I feel.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I think you are brave for confessing [​IMG]

I have been around animals my entire life, my confessions would be so long I would get carpal tunnel from typing. But, I can say one thing for myself, I have never made the same mistake two times.

Your entire life will be a learning experience. Now, feel free to enjoy the new chicks. And congratulations on your hatch !

5. Terri

Terri Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    i boiled a whole tank of fish, we live and learn.

6. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    [​IMG]

7. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    We all have made mistakes, so we know how you feel. Some lessons just have to be learned the hard way I suppose.
    [​IMG]

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

9. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I am so so sorry
    Do not beat yourself up
    I had to transfer baby cotton tails once I took them to the vets office that would be the half way point between me and the rabbit gal. I ALWAYS keep my heating pad on low ALWAYS. These where maybe 2 days old there where 6 put them in the office pluged the pad in under half the tank walked out had a squirrel looked at chated went to check them one more time before I left 4 where dead I had cooked them the heating pad was on high. The other two died in less then half an hour. I was beating myself up so bad. The vet look at me and said will you ever do that again crying I said no way. Bet ya I check the heating pad everytime now
    The point of spilling my guts is that we all make painful mistakes
    You will never make that mistake again trust me!
    My heart is giving your heart a big hug!
    It will be okay!

10. Lorettawyandotte

Lorettawyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    white springs, fl
    I could write a book on my mistakes...never made the same one twice with regard to my animals...we learn as we go...so much of life is on the job training...turn your eyes to the little ones you have...gone is gone and we have the living to care for...and love...I am sorry this happened...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by