I killed a baby silkie chick tonight,i cant stop crying

Silkiemom2

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 5, 2012
I found him,away from his mom in the coop,he was hangig out of the egg,chirping,i put him back under her,and hour later i went out and got him,and put him in the brooder with the other chicks,the oldest is 2 weeks,and he kept getting stepped on,so i put him a small box,half under the heat lamp and half so he could get away from the heat,and hour later i came up and he was on his back,right under the light,i tried bring him back by rubbing his chest and little breaths into his beak,while rubbing its chest,i noticed all the down coming off,it started peeling off.omg.I think ,the light cooked him,when he was on his back under the light,which is an 100 watt bulb.Its my fault,and i feel so **** sad,and so guilty,i think thats it,im giving up raising them anymore.

How hard for you! When my first girl died, she was a few months old. She was obviously sick so I brought her inside hoping to warm her and give her a chance. When she died a couple hours later, on my chest, I cried and was very sad for days. It is naturall to feel that way. I'll bet that your little one had something wrong with her or she would have gone to the cooler side of the area and been fine. It is very discouraging, but don't give up. They are so much fun and it is worth it. Good luck to you.

It's obvious you love and care for these little creatures, sometimes bad things just happen. It probably passed while under the light but not that the light killed it. It sounds like it had difficulty from the beginning. I hope you feel better soon from this. Whatever may be learned from this remember when we know better, we do better. Take care and I'm sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

I totally agree with the above posters. If it was available, he would have
moved to the cooler side of the box. If his mom pushed him away, she
most likely knew something was wrong with him. And I totally agree with
Nurse_Turtle, it gets easier to cope. Lots of hugs for you.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I am so sad for you. One of my first chicks was listless right out of the box (and by first I mean my very first and this was last Saturday). She died after only a few hours while I was at a wedding. I was devastated - maybe if I had been home?? - but you can't think like that. Some things just happen. I gave her a lovely funeral and I just let myself cry.

When i brought him in the house,he seemed fine.all dryed off and fluffy.I have to blame myself for this,and learn from it.Its just so **** hard..Hopefully tomorrow i will feel better.Thanks to you all for your postings.Last week i brought one in,that the mom had stepped on and cracked the egg open,it was not ready to hatch out,the chick still had some yolk on him,that had not been absorbed,it was acting sluggish,and tired all the time,i was able to save that one with mixing gatorade and chick starter,he/she is now thriving.This one i lost was a beautiful little white ,with a great huge top hat,she/he would have been a beauty when fully grown..rip peace little one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom