I killed a chick... again.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Buns, May 9, 2011.

1. Buns

Buns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    For the second time when I gave a chick an injection of Baytril it fell over daed within minutes afterward. I give the injection the same exact way I do with every other bird. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas on what I was doing wrong. I am careful to select the correct site, the correct dose, and I aspirate before injecting to be certain I am not in a vein.
    Thank you for any input.
    Mary

2. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    I'm a human nurse, not a bird one, but it sounds like you're doing it right. My guess would be a reaction, especially if it wasn't the first dose(allergic reactions don't typically happen on first dose).

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:How old are the chicks and why are you injecting baytril in them? Baytril is a very potent antibiotic as you probably already know and their young developing systems most likely cant handle it.

4. Buns

Buns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    Quote:Six to eight weeks old. Have been on denagard without success for 7 days at the full strength rate (1 Tbsp/1 Gallon water). Swollen eyes, sneezing, runny nose, losing weight. I didn't stoop to giving Baytril until their eyes began to swell and look bad and the weight loss became worse. Not all of the birds in this pen of about 12 have these symptoms, only about five.
    I have given tiny doses of Baytril to other birds of this age without issue, but in the past I did lose one in this same immediate fashion. I just wondered if others had experienced this.
    I would like to know what you would recommend in this type of situation - I'm very open to suggestions and want to do the best for my birds.
    Thank you for your reply.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Six to eight weeks old. Have been on denagard without success for 7 days at the full strength rate (1 Tbsp/1 Gallon water). Swollen eyes, sneezing, runny nose, losing weight. I didn't stoop to giving Baytril until their eyes began to swell and look bad and the weight loss became worse. Not all of the birds in this pen of about 12 have these symptoms, only about five.
    I have given tiny doses of Baytril to other birds of this age without issue, but in the past I did lose one in this same immediate fashion. I just wondered if others had experienced this.
    I would like to know what you would recommend in this type of situation - I'm very open to suggestions and want to do the best for my birds.
    Thank you for your reply.

Denegard is a potent antibiotic as well, and if it didnt work, you are dealing with a virus. Antibiotics wont work against virusus. There's no telling which virus it is neither. IF they survive they will be carriers and expose other birds as well. I'm sorry to say that I recommend you cull.

6. t_4_turtle

t_4_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Just looking in...what does cull mean?

7. debducttape

debducttape Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Cull= humanely kill to eliminate illness or bad genetics.

8. DickGJ

DickGJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Sumter, South Carolina
    R.I.P. , Put to rest, put down, stop their biological clock, remove from the gene pool,....kill. [​IMG]

9. t_4_turtle

t_4_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    All of them because some are sick and the sickness could spread? Truly compassionate...

10. DickGJ

DickGJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Sumter, South Carolina
    Quote:It's a tough thing to do cause we get to loving them so much, but it also takes love to do the deed/cull. It's the right thing to do in worse case scenarios.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by