I killed ANOTHER Coonzilla this morning! LONG

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MBLayfield, Dec 4, 2007.

1. MBLayfield

MBLayfield Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    I went up to the barn this morning to check my rabbits. I have one about to kindle.

I don't know why but I turned the lights on this morning. Thank goodness that I did! Hanging off of my hutch was a BIG racoon. When he saw me he jumped down and ran snarling towards me. :mad: Of course this would be the morning that I'm in a skirt and nice shoes..... I kept tripping and was scared to death. I've never had a racoon come after me. I ended up running out the door to the pasture and got covered in freaking cow crap right before work!

I ran screaming from the barn like a little girl! I'm so embarrased! Anyway, I grabbed the pitchfork and smacked him with it. For a split second I thought about stabbing him with it, but I couldn't for some reason. He ran and hid behind my freaking rabbit food of all places!

I locked the barn and went and got the gun. I came back and shot it and missed three times! I really blow at aiming! Anyway, I finally hit the thing. I had to shoot it twice to kill it. I feel like crap that I didn't kill it quickly. It was horrible to watch. I'm glad it didn't eat my rabbits or get me, but i feel bad that it didn't die quicker. I left the body there til my husband gets home. I was too shaken up to do much more.

So in the midst of all this I accidently sat my husbands gun in a cow patty. I sat it down upside down by mistake not thinking. I was pretty shaken. Now the barrell has cow poo in it. Betcha I'm gonna hear it when I get home!

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I'm glad your Ok that was scary just reading it. I'm sure your hubby won't be mad about his gun as long as your safe. That's what I'm so afraid of happening here at my place. We have problems with raccoons & rabies here. I'm afraid of me or the kids getting caught on the back porch with one.

3. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I am glad you or your pets did not get hurt in the process. Congrats on getting rid of the predator. Please make sure that firearm gets a thorough cleaning today.

4. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Good for you!
    Several years ago, I heard a commotion in our back yard. Of course it was the middle of the night.[​IMG] There was a large raccoon on top of our gate, looking down at my 40 pound beagle/cocker spaniel mix. I just *knew* that the coon was looking for a chance to jump onto that dog's back and kill her.
    I took a big piece of plywood and slammed it into the gate as hard as I could.
    The raccoon was furious, and had to cling to the gate to keep from tumbing to the ground. But do you think it would jump off the gate? It snarled terribly at me, and I was really frightened, standing there in my nightgown with my bare ankles. [​IMG] All I could see were the headlines next day 'Mother of 9 Has Ankles Torn to Pieces in Fight with Racoon', with accompanying photos of me.
    The raccoon finally left when I sprayed it with cold water from a hose.

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Holy Sheepdip Batman!!!
    I would've needed clean undies too!

6. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! I have never had them actually come after me or our family. THey have always run off. Did you make it to work on time or were you late? I think I might have called in sick with that one...lol I think your hubby will forgive you for getting poo in his gun. I sure hope that this didnt upset your doe to much, I know sometimes they can abort for nothing. Good luck with the kits. Jenn

7. Royicus

Royicus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Western Oregon
    Good that you got it. Go get some range time and become a better shot [​IMG]

If I had my barrel stuck in the ground, I wouldn't be happy about it either. I wouldn't make too much of a "stink" about it though. I'd just clean it up, and be happy nobody got hurt.

Good for you.

8. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    I'm stuck on it coming at you.......I wonder about Rabies with it doing that. I'm FAR from an expert, but does anyone know if this might be a possibility?

9. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    I'm with Royicus on this one. Beyond that, you had the guts and the will to protect your animals. If your husband has issues with his gun after what you had to do I'd tell him to go to H**l. He should give you a big hug, collect the gun, clean it up and hope it doesn't happen again. You did a great hard job. Not many can do what you did and you are worried about your husband's response?! He should be proud of you! Then you can both clean the gun and go to the range together.

Mac

10. MBLayfield

MBLayfield Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    Quote:I'm glad I'm okay too! I don't know if we have a rabies issue here or not, but I now have a totally different outlook on racoons after this morning. Hubby knows about the gun, and was very irritated with me about the gun. But not because of the dirt and pucky in it, but because I did not handle the gun like he taught me. He's afraid I'm going to hurt myself or someone else. He has a point, and I've agreed to take a gun safety class.

Quote:I am going to learn how to clean it myself tonight when my husband gets home.

Quote:I'm glad nothing happened besides you being scared. I would have been really scared too!
    Quote:I didn't think they came at you either. That's why I got so scared! Hubby is not mad, just upset that I didn't follow his directions on how to use the gun. The nest my doe made (outside the freaking box) was totally messed up.... I hope I don't lose the kits. We'll see when I get home from work tonight. Yes I was very late for work and wanted to call in but knew I couldn't. So I went in with ripped hose and cow crap on my shoes. I left for lunch early and changed.... LOL
    Quote:I totally agree with you, and will begin "lessons" this weekend with my husband.
    Quote:This is the part that freaked me out, he just came towards me and wouldn't stop. He was growling and snarling, I was totally terrified. I am trying to find out how to have it tested as I write this. Everyone I've talked to says that racoons don't come after people but they will snarl and stuff. All I know it that from now on I will ALWAYS turn on the generator for light and I will ALWAYS have more than a purse to protect myself when I'm down there by myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by